Hey all,

I have just installed perfect keylogger by blazingtools and i was wondering if this is a legit keylogger. The reason im asking this is because all of my anti-spyware/adware/virus programs that include; microsoft anti-spyware, ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, a2, and avast antivirus are all picking this up as a serious threats. So should i leave this software installed?

Loved your response, and good for you, StealthG :thumbsup: Gotta watch those kids before they turn the idiot box into a doorstop!

I poked around in Googleland a bit and seems the "downside" is that a keylogger can be emailed or FTP'd somewhere (I don't know what FTP means...), but I imagine the email address would have to be inputed at installation, and if you did that, you probably put your own address in. I think it's "potentailly dangerous" if a "badguy" installs it on your machine.

Mcafee lists it as a "potentially unwanted program", not a true cootie-again, depends on how it got there in the first place.

Wait for more opinions, but I would guess that if you installed it for your own personal use and installed it on your own computer, it should be ok.

Also, if you use IE, the restricted sites zone is my favorite tool. If I hear of something bad (like if you misspell google, it's a cootie) I pop the site in there. And of course all the antispyware and virus stuff, too!!

With my kids, I just harp and harp and try to educate them, like not accepting links from AIM buddies without confirming they were actually sent, doublechecking email attachments before opening them (son just doesn't open them, hooray!), running VS on music they download (don't like that, but Son likes the old ragtime music that you can't find in stores anymore!), etc. They call me a nag, but this idiot box is still running.....! ;)

Also, I think it might be a good idea to tell your kids that you installed a keylogger. If you have teens, boy will they be furious at you (put in your earplugs and practice saying "so what?") BUT just knowing that you'll be monitoring what they are doing online would deter them from misbehaving. And if you decide to uninstall it.....shhh....don't tell them ;)

Good luck, I know how scary it is when the kids are running around the net!

Liz

Also, I think it might be a good idea to tell your kids that you installed a keylogger

That takes all the fun out. Besides, if your tell them, then they will work around the logger.

For example, copy and paste words or letters to search for what they want.

Anyway...

That keylogger is safe. :)

The reason it is coming up as a "serious threat" is because your antivirus is assuming you maybe were not the one that installed it. It is protecting you, incase some malicious person(or program) had it installed to your computer. They could then get your passwords, and other valuable info.

With that said, this is just a theory, it may be bad for other reasons. Take with a grain of salt.

Bubbabob, you're a naughty one!! :D;):D And too clever! But after reading your post, you are right. I forget my kids aren't very tech savvy and wouldn't figure out how to cheat--but they have some tech savvy friends who could do it for them!

Liz

Hi StealthG

The keylogger program itself is an OK program, the only reason that your antispyware programs are tagging it is in case it was not installed by yourself, but possibly by a Trojan on your computer. (just as shanenin posted)

Keyloggers are commonly used by Trojans, to pick up and transmit your passwords and other vital bits of info, and sending it off to the Trojan's author without your knowledge.

The keylogger program itself usually doesn't contain the ability to send information over the internet, the Trojan does that with another bit of software.

To be absolutely positive that its NOT sending info somewhere tho, you can install a simple little Port Scanner to monitor any ports being opened on your computer, and check it to see if the keylogger opens a port when it starts.

I use Active Ports to keep an eye on things when I test stuff, its simple and free.