Fire Fox 1.0.6 Is Available

Just wanna mention that the 1.0.6 Ubuntu package was (supposedly) pulled from the repository due to problems alot of people were having with it.

I say "supposedly" because I installed it after it was supposedly pulled...I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have any problems with this upgrade...well, one problem with tabbrowser extension but a reinstall of the extension fixed that....not sure if the issue is fixed or not but the ubuntu forum was cluttered with FF complaint threads the other day

Just wanna mention that the 1.0.6 Ubuntu package was (supposedly) pulled from the repository due to problems alot of peopleĀ  were having with it.

I say "supposedly" because I installed it after it was supposedly pulled...I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have any problems with this upgrade...well, one problem with tabbrowser extension but a reinstall of the extension fixed that....not sure if the issue is fixed or not but the ubuntu forum was cluttered with FF complaint threads the other day

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey tictoc,

I also installed 1.0.6 on my Ubuntu box. No problems...........yet :ph34r: Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I'll also encounter some weird stuff, I don't use tabbed browsing, I'm kinda old fashioned in my surfing habits, what with my advanced years. :D

I don't use tabbed browsing, I'm kinda old fashioned in my surfing habits, what with my advanced years. :D

when you follow a link, you just open a new window? I go crazy the few times I have to use IE without tabs. join the 21 century USE TABS :-)

I don't use tabbed browsing, I'm kinda old fashioned in my surfing habits, what with my advanced years. :D

when you follow a link, you just open a new window? I go crazy the few times I have to use IE without tabs. join the 21 century USE TABS :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhh

You young whipper snappers and your tabbed browsing :D

I'll go check it out.

I've been on-line since the good old days of Netscape 1.0 :D

Okay, I'll move into the 21st century:-)

the best part of tabbed brwsing is using the middle click mouse button to open links in a new tab. you can open a new tab by typing <ctrl> T

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the tip! Tabbed browsing is very cool. I've got 5 tabs open right now. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks :D

Edited by hitest

your welcome. You may also save a little on resouces. It probably uses less memory to open a new tab, then a whole new instance of firefox(but I am just guessing)

Edited by shanenin
your welcome. You may also save a little on resouces. It probably uses less memory to open a new tab, then a whole new instance of firefox(but I am just guessing)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point! It might save on resources which is good as I run older hardware. Tabbed browsing has certainly sped up my surfing. Excellent stuff. :D

Thanks to you as well tictoc for nudging me in this direction. :D

Edited by hitest

It looks like tabs are quite a bit cheaper than windows. Quick RSS measurements, same (very simple) page:

Tabs:

One: 26676

Two: 27400 (+724)

Three: 27640 (+240)

Four: 27744 (+104)

Windows:

One: 26668

Two: 27972 (+1304)

Three: 29260 (+1288)

Four: 30456 (+1196)

It looks like tabs are quite a bit cheaper than windows.Ā  Quick RSS measurements, same (very simple) page:

Tabs:

One: 26676

Two: 27400 (+724)

Three: 27640 (+240)

Four: 27744 (+104)

Windows:

One: 26668

Two: 27972 (+1304)

Three: 29260 (+1288)

Four: 30456 (+1196)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Thanks, jcl!

So if I understand your data then tabs are more efficient than windows (memory use)?

At rthe risk of appearing stupid are the numbers you've listed memory use, thoughput? I'm an RSS n00b :D

heh, since you stumbled on to the wonderful world of tabs.... :lol:

I totally recommend Tabbrowser Extensions...it gives (pretty much) total access to config of tabs....I'd go with the "light user" default starting off.

I'm not sure how far away I've strayed from the light user but one of the things I like, is being able to hover over an inactive tab for 700ms (time is user pref) and have it go active....yes I am so lazy that I don't even want to click if I don't have to. :lol: