Additional Case Fan Power Supply

ok..since replacing the slave hard drive..i figured it might be a good idea to add a case fan..to help with the extra heat..but i'll be darned if i can find how to power it..i see that the cpu fan plugs into the motherboard..but i can find no other obvious power source for an additional fan..

anybody steer me in the right direction..?? :wacko::huh:

You may need to get a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter and run it straight from the PSU. What motherboard do you have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from everest...

Motherboard Name MSI MS-6701 (Medion OEM)

thanx :blink::thumbsup:

Well, when I added a fan to my GFX card, this ole Dell only had one MB socket for the case/CPU fan. So my sweet Brit just removed the wires from the new fans end, (retaining the crimpted on metal thingy's) and plugged it into the backside of the other fans plug. Kinda piggy backing it on. But wait! Then I decided I wanted a "real" CPU fan. And get rid of the shroud that Dell used to draw air over the CPU, keeping the case part of it's function. So he then did the same thing, just unplugged the wires from the plug and plugged them into one of the power supply 4 hole plugs. Piggy backing it again to reserve the 4 pin one for whatever. So you see, I now have 4 fans going and still have a 4 pin in reserve. (GFX card, case, CPU, and PS, all fanned up)

Ain't it nice to be married to a geek?

That motherboard deosnt have a slot on the motherboard for a fan. Soo, youll have to get the adapter like TheTerrorist_75 suggested.

I think radioshack has em. If not, your local computer repair shop should sell you one cheap. (ma & pop style that is)

You can also take any unused 4 pin flat molex connector coming from the PSU and use it for fan power, thats how I have mine hooked up.

The flat 4 pin ones are used for peripherals, all you need from it are the 12V power and the common, and there is usually an extra one in most peoples boxes. The YELLOW wire end is the 12V supply and the BLACK wires are the common.

Its difficult to find just the small metal ends that plug into these holes seperately, so what I did was just trim the wire back further and folded it a few times so that it fit snugly into the molex power supply holes. A wrap of electrical tape to ensure it stays put, and its done.

The wire fit so snuggly into the hole anyway, I doubt that the tape made any difference but it never hurts.

• 4 weeks later...
That motherboard deosnt have a slot on the motherboard for a fan. Soo, youll have to get the adapter like TheTerrorist_75 suggested.

I think radioshack has em. If not, your local computer repair shop should sell you one cheap. (ma & pop style that is)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So does Newegg.

Many fans come with them these days. The last 2 I've bought did.

..just a quick update...finally found/made time to get and install the case fan....my local pc club had a nice vantec stealth 80mm with a 3-4 pin power adapter included for $12.99..

installed in about 5-min and can already see about a 8-10 degree drop in both HD temps..

pretty cool... :lol:B):thumbsup: