Casey Vs. The Tornado

he built the TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle), a long-wheelbase 1997 Ford F-450 diesel dually pickup. No one at Ford would recognize it, though. The body has been replaced by inexpertly welded thick steel plates, and incorporates a roof turret housing the large IMAX film camera. Occupants peer out through prison-window Lexan portals.

Story and pics here

Tornado proof, HA, HA, HA, yeah, right.

Go ahead and screw around with Mother Nature.

She'll turn around and slap you upside the head, so hard, you won't know what hit you.

Does the term, "unsinkable", sound familiar to anyone?

110 mph winds.

The tornados, he's been playing with, are babies.

I want to see him tangle with a Cat 5, 300+ mph!!!

Then we'll see how "tornado proof" his truck is, when it goes sailing off into the next county. :lol:

Tornado proof, HA, HA, HA, yeah, right.

Go ahead and screw around with Mother Nature.

She'll turn around and slap you upside the head, so hard, you won't know what hit you.

Does the term, "unsinkable", sound familiar to anyone?

110 mph winds.

The tornados, he's been playing with, are babies.

I want to see him tangle with a Cat 5, 300+ mph!!!

Then we'll see how "tornado proof" his truck is, when it goes sailing off into the next county. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen tg1911...I have lived in texas and oklahoma...I've seen the big ones. A good tornado will make mince meat out of that truck.

It sure doesn't look like a truck!! I've only encountered one tornado (while in KY--and it was only an F2, maybe F3), but ugh, I certainly don't ever want to encounter one again. The noise alone is terrifying. I'll stick with Michigan's "Straight Line Wind Storms" and blizzards. Snow eventually melts.

Liz

Well, the dang thing is almost 14,000 pounds, and very close to the ground. If anything it would tumble like a 7 ton leaf....

Blim?? Don't you remember the tornado that ripped threw Kalamazoo? That bugger started on M-43 about 25 miles from So. Haven and hippity hopped due east for 30 miles and tore up downtown real good. Blew the whole roof off of a large auto dealership just around the corner from my house. (about 1/2 mile away) Funny though, my pear tree never lost a petal off the flowers. Then again, you are much farther north.

No, Bozodog, I don't remember the Kazoo Tornado, all I know of is the "famous Palm Sunday Tornado" in I think....Flint, and I think that was before I moved here. Yep, too far north in the cold, I guess. Thank God you didn't get any damage!!

The devastation I saw in KY was scary!! Especially when one is "in charge" of 40 kids (Thank God our buildings got very little damage, just a few shingles lost) Those things sure are goofy, though, one gas station completely dissapeared, except for a candy rack that was untouched--every candybar was in place!!

Those "straight line windstorms" a couple years ago sure got my little neighborhood good, though. We are on the top of a bluff (a lakeside hill for you flatlanders :) ) and even though we lucked out (one mockorange bush got uprooted), it was a mess!! Downed trees everywhere! At least all the powerlines got replaced. The power and cable used to go out every time the wind picked up. Not anymore (now it goes out when its sunny and calm.....go figure)

Liz

remember the 1979 tornado in wichita falls, texas? 3 twisters combined into 1 big funnel..sat on the ground for like 10 miles right down the middle of town... I was there and when it was over it looked like hiroshima.

I sold a house full of carpet to folks who had pulled up to their house shortly after the tornado passed. They were happy to see just some siding ripped off and the living room window blown out. They did lose a 150 year old barn but the "nice" tornado left all the hay bales! But, wait! Inside their intact house was a 3 inch coating of pig manure on all the walls, floors, and ceilings. They had to use snowshovels to scrape the crap off. The closest hog farm was 15 miles away. Ewwwwww!