Sponsored By

Sign in to follow this  
Steven Walker

The 5 Best Online Resources for New Freelance Graphic Designers

Getting started as a new graphic artist can be tough. Where do you get started, how can you learn more, and where can you get paid are questions that you'll often ask yourself. Following are 5 great online resources to help the new graphic artist get started and on their way in their online graphic arts business .

Online Resource #1: Freelance Switch
In my opinion Freelanceswitch is the first online resource any new graphic artist should check out. Freelance Switch is a great resource for new graphic artists to quickly gain years of experience by leveraging the wisdom of seasoned graphic artists.
Freelance Switch provides online tutorials, legal advice, tools, written homework and a great forum to use as a resource to learn new things by networking with other graphic artists. Oops, I almost forgot to mention that Freelance Switch is also a great online resource for finding freelance design clients. What more can you ask for in one online resource?

Online Resource #2: DeviantArt
After graduating from college, I soon learned that the portfolio weighed more than my college degree in the graphic design industry. After learning this new and troubling fact of the graphic design industry, I was then faced with a new challenge; how can I display my portfolio online?
DeviantArt is the perfect online resource for displaying all of your new and old freelance graphic artwork. Deviant Art provides a great resource for new freelance graphic artists to establish a professional online portfolio, network with other graphic artists, and find artistic inspiration.

Online Resource #3: ColourLovers
With billions of color possibilities, it's a troubling task for new freelance graphic artists to decide on the right color combination for their graphic assignments. A freelance graphic artist can waste valuable time just sitting around thinking and tweaking different colors around to find the right pick - if only there were an online resource that could help these new artists with this task.
ColourLovers is great resource for freelance graphic artists that are new to the industry. Colour Lovers provides professional color palettes, colors, patterns, trends, and examples that were made by fellow freelance graphic artists. Colour Lovers also provides a forum and blog as an added resource for new freelance artists to learn new color tips and trends online.

Online Resource #4 and 5: ODesk and Craigslist
OK, so far we've covered online resources that teach new freelance artists the basics (and not so basic) of the graphic design industry, how and where to post your online portfolio, and where to find inspiration, but there's one thing that's missing... where the heck can a new freelance graphic artist get paid online?
ODesk and Craigslist are two great online resources for new freelance artists (with little experience) to find paying graphic design clients. ODesk is an online directory where prospective clients post needed graphic (and other) assignments and ODesk charges a small fee for brokering the deal. Craigslist lists jobs for free (in the creative gigs section), but you'll have to watch out for scammers because there isn't much moderation for that kind of thing.