I know this question gets asked all the time so, please don't yell at me. LOL.

My Norton Antivirus expires today and instead of paying to renew it again I have decided to uninstall it and get a free one. I just don't know which one to get. What is the best free one, or the one you reccommend??

My brother has AVG and I really dont like it that good. :D

Avast! Home Edition is another great choice.

B

I decided to go with Avast!, I have a question. There is a shortcut on my desktop called "AvBatEx.BAV" below the "avast! antivirus" shortcut. Anyone know what it is? What to do with it? I opened it in notepad and its just alot of letters, numbers, and symbols.

Hi Jaspossom

I also went to Avast when my Norton subscription ran out. So far it works well for me. I have XP Home. I don't have anything under the short cut icon for Avast but found this.....seems to be maybe a plug-in. Maybe read this and see if it helps you.

Avast Forum

Thanks rv56, I am reading those forums now. It seems to be, what you said, a plugin for something called The Bat. I'm not sure what that is or does yet. I am trying to figure it out still. i hate when simple things make me feel stupid. :huh:

Hi Jaspossom

I also went to Avast when my Norton subscription ran out. So far it works well for me. I have XP Home. I don't have anything under the short cut icon for Avast but found this.....seems to be maybe a plug-in. Maybe read this and see if it helps you.

Avast Forum

Thanks rv56, I am reading those forums now. It seems to be, what you said, a plugin for something called The Bat. I'm not sure what that is or does yet. I am trying to figure it out still. i hate when simple things make me feel stupid. :huh:

http://www.thebat-email.com/

its great how people have thier dislikes and favourites ,when dealing .

virus scanners.how does the poster know if avg is ok or not if he hasent tried it

is it because it is free.there seems to be a conception if it is free it is no good.

well i was a member of the techtv board for some years and over 60 percent were using avg.it is equal to any paid one.i treid avast but it kept taking a dll file out

i like it but i couldnt fix the dll file problem.so i went back to avg.

and it is as good as any.

the poster needs to read the board to see how many use avg and not speculate

marty

if he can afford to pay for one go for it

Has anybody tried the free EZ Trust that come on the SP1 disk from Microsoft? Put it on my second (new) computer until I get Norton SystemWorks. Also installed it on the nephew's computer about a month ago.

Any experiences with it---good or bad?

is this appli on sp2 as well.

i have sp2 now and when it scanned my sys it recognise my avg scanner.but i didnt refer o the one you mentioned.i might google it

thanks

marty

Has anybody tried the free EZ Trust that come on the SP1 disk from Microsoft? Put it on my second (new) computer until I get Norton SystemWorks. Also installed it on the nephew's computer about a month ago.

Any experiences with it---good or bad?

EZ Trust has gotten poor reviews. Most people seem to think that AVG and Sygate are much better.

Iused McAfee,Norton,and AVG. Didn't care for AVG, cannot explain why...just didn't like it. Using Avast now, like it but it doesn't have a schedule scan, don't matter I scan a couple times a week.

Try the free ones. If one catches your fancy use it and keep it up to date.

Online scanners are good for dbl checking.

Google results

Norton Online scanner. Near bottom of page.

Trend Housecall

M

its great how people have thier dislikes and favourites ,when dealing .

virus scanners.how does the poster know if avg is ok or not if he hasent tried it

is it because it is free.there seems to be a conception if it is free it is no good.

well i was a member of the techtv board for some years and over 60 percent were using avg.it is equal to any paid one.i treid avast but it kept taking a dll file out

i like it but i couldnt fix the dll file problem.so i went back to avg.

and it is as good as any.

the poster needs to read the board to see how many use avg and not speculate

marty

if he can afford to pay for one go for it

I wasn't speculating when I said I didn't like AVG, my brother has it and I have used it on his computer many times. I just don't like it, but thats just my opinion. Like "mikex" I can't explain why I don't like it I just don't.

I paid for Norton for 2 years but decided not to pay for one if there are good free ones I could get. So far Avast! has worked well, no problems yet.

I know this question gets asked all the time so, please don't yell at me. LOL.

My Norton Antivirus expires today and instead of paying to renew it again I have decided to uninstall it and get a free one. I just don't know which one to get. What is the best free one, or the one you reccommend??

My brother has AVG and I really dont like it that good. :D

Hi Jaspossum

No I won't yell at you

What's best is a long debatable question

I picked up but one Klez 3-4 years ago running Mcafee

Used AVG,, Avast,, Norton,, but will not blame Mcafee for 1 mistake

When my Norton expires,, I will go with Avast freeware

Marsh

great thead!

i was about to start a new one since im about to entirely fix my pc.and my AV is expired.

plus i need to put a new AV on this laptop.

i guess i will have to try AVAST.

how about firewall?any changes on whats the best?ive only heard of avast now...i guess ive been off the tech world for too long..LOLZ