Hello Everyone:

Because there have been people that have to be able to download files from Internet Sources, I figured that I would provide a Tutorial Here for this purpose.  In past setups, before defender, you could simply turn off your Antivirus, and download the file. then add the exception.  Chuck has provided instructions for disabling Windows Defender for Windows 7. so I will provide information on how to do this when you have a machine with Fall Creator's Update installed.

You Will Need:

·  A windows 10 machine that has been upgraded with the Fall Creator's Update [Either Home, Professional or Enterprise Editions]

· A copy of the following Reg files:  disableSmartScreen.Reg and UndoDisableSmartScreen.reg (Attached)

Why is it Different:  Previously, all you had to do was to disable your Antivirus or Antimalware program to allow for you to download the files you need.  Now, with the advent of the Fall Creator's Update, it takes a few extra steps to download the file(s) you need.  What would happen is that Windows will NOT allow you to run the file, because it detects that it is not advisable to run it - Instead of letting the user decide, it just locks the ability to run it:  So, we have to remove these barriers before proceeding to the next step.

Step 1:  Disable SmartScreen Filters:  In order for the files to be able to be downloaded without being blocked, SmartScreen has to be disabled, or the files you download will not run.  this is because not only will Defender warn you, but it will not allow you to run the file.  Disabling Smartscreen takes care of this: 

a:)   Download the 2 reg files that are attached to this post to your desktop - Once you do that, find the file  " disableSmartScreen.reg " and double click on it.  When you do this, it will ask to open Windows Registry Editor - Click "OK" and it will launch the reg file.

b:) You will get a popup box that will ask you if you are sure you want to add the registry entry to the registry.  Click "Yes" and the next box should say that it was successfully added.  This now means that SmartScreen Filters are DISABLED:  We will reenable them when we are finished downloading the files you need and they have been run.

Step 2:  Windows Defender:  You have to also disable the Windows Defender so that you can download the files you need and run them as necessary:

a:)  Click on the white shield on the taskbar to open Windows Defender

b:)  Click "Virus and Threat Protection"

c:) Click "Virus and Threat Protection Settings"

d:) Turn OFF: Real Time Protection

e:) Turn OFF Cloud Delivered Protection

f:)  If needed. scroll down to the bottom, click on "exclusions" and add them - (File, Folder, Filetype or Process) This is so that if you need to run a  particular file, Defender won't disable and or delete the files folders, filetypes or processes you exclude when you reenable Defender.  This should allow the file to run unimpeded.

Step 3:  When done running whatever it is you need,  simply go back to Step 2, and repeat steps 2a 2b 2c 2d and 2e, BUT You want to Turn ON Real Time Protection and Cloud Delivered Protection.

Step 4: Close Windows Defender after reenabling the Real Time and Cloud Delivered Protection

Step 5:  Go back to Step 1 and run UndoDisableSmartScreen.reg  - Click on this, and open the reg file - It will tell you that the file has been successfully added to the registry.

That's it!  This way, you will be able to disable the SmartScreen Filter and Windows Defender on a Windows 10 machine running the Fall Creators Update ~ Brian

DisableSmartScreen.reg

UndoDisableSmartScreen.reg

Brian just to let you know i have not had to inform anyone to turn off their Windows protection or any Antivirus for a long time ! Nor have i seen any of my Malware Removal friends ask users to turn them off unless they report back about a problem downloading a program ! So in my removal of Malware i would not ask them to turn it off !!

Chuck

Chuck:  I understand that, but the new Creator's Update won't let some programs even launch without disabling the SmartScreen filter, and in some cases it may stop some of the Antimalware programs we may ask users to run:  I had to do that once when I was trying to clean an infection - it would delete the tool that was trying to remove the infection.  I know that you may have to disable the SmartScreen Filter though. - and sometimes it would make the tool useless because it detects it as a PUP or a Hacktool or something along those lines.

Brian

I have cleaned 9 since the new update came out including running scans on mine & no problems at all running programs !!  I will test all my programs on my Virtual machine and see id any refuse to run or if there is a problem !!

Chuck

So my last word on this subject !!! I had no problems with my virtual machine running any programs. So i talked with a MS rep and this was his comment :

The SmartScreen filter built into Windows automatically scans applications, files, downloads, and websites, blocking known-dangerous content and warning you before you run unknown applications. You can disable it, if you like.

We recommend you leave SmartScreen enabled. It provides an additional layer of security that helps protect your PC, whether you’re using antivirus or not. Even if SmartScreen automatically blocks an unknown application you know is safe, you can click through the warning to run the application anyway.

So in his & my opinion i would leave it on unless there is a problem downloading a program !! If it gives the user a small amount of protection then it's all good !

Chuck