I have had the PC turned off due to life and the weather for the past week.

Upon booting up this morning, MS Update downloaded the July updates and informed me they were ready to install.

After letting them do their thing I have a problem.

Every time I open IE it goes to the MS update page.

Tea timer in spybot caught this and I chose deny, remember this setting.

I have reset my updates to full auto, reset my home page several times, ran updates to make sure no critical ones were missing to no avail.

And somehow it overrides the tea timer in spybot so that when opened my IE goes to MS updates.

When I click the home icon on my toolbar it goes to the page I have set.

If I use Sys. Restore I will not have fully updated XP anymore.

I can't figure out why, with auto-updates turned on, they think I must go to updates every time I open IE.

Any ideas?

We figured it out.

There was a glitch in the spybot tea timer. :angry:

As soon as I turned it off, my homepage reset.

I am thinking bad download and am going to delete / reload.

thanx

Hi tjet,

Glad you got it fixed!! I've been watching this thread (the odd problems fascinate me!) Thanks for letting us know what the kink was. Did you recently download Spybot, like just before or just after the MS updates? I know there was a glitch in Spybot's servers (folks weren't getting their updates) when we installed Spybot a couple months ago, and we had an weird error during installation (which was fixed when their servers were running correctly and we updated Spybot). Just curious as I'm trying to learn this tech stuff. :)

Liz

Your welcome, blim.

That's why I keep all of my old installers, just in case I have to revert back, for some reason.

I have Spybot installers back to version 1.2.

I've got Firefox all the way back to when it was Firebird v0.7 :)

OK, TG, I'm lost :huh: ....how do you keep the old installers??? Are they merely "living somewhere around here" or is there something special that needs to be done to keep them around? Son is "in charge" of updating things (I tell him to update stuff and he does it, how easy is that?) but I think he just clicks the update button and poof, it updates!

Liz

Blim, I have a "download" folder. When I do a D/L I choose *save to disk* option and put all of them in that folder. Then I go to there and install from there. I have lots of old versions of software. (this folder BTW is one I back up on CD and my second HDD, in case of HDD failure.) Along with my documents and pictures.

Thanks, Bozodog!

I think we have a download folder kicking around here somewhere, need to have Son show me where it is :) Great idea about a backup copy on a CD, too. Never know when something is going to dissapear, it'll be good for loaning to folks, too!

Liz

Whenever you download a program, as bozodog said, choose save to disk.

That way if you ever have a problem, it's just a matter of falling back to a previous version.

This is the way I do it:

In the My Documents folder, I have a folder named Installers.

In the Installers folder, I have I, II & III.

(I try to limit the size of these folders to around 600MB. That way I can burn the whole folder to a disk.)

In each of those folders, I have folders for each program; Firefox, Ad-aware, Spybot, Irfanview, etc....

In each of these folders, I have a folder for each version; Firebird v0.7, Firefox v0.8, Firefox v0.9, Firefox v0.9.2, etc...

In each of these folders, I put the installers, and a Notepad document.

In the Notepad document, I put all the important info about the program, that I copy & paste from the website, such as program name, version #, URL of the site, how to install/uninstall, system requirements, features, etc.

Then you can burn your Installers folder, when you burn your back-up disks.

That way, if you ever have a problem with a newer version of a program, or have to reinstall your OS, you have all of your programs on disk, and ready to install.

No need to waste time re-downloading all of your programs (especially if you're on dial-up).

I hope this isn't too confusing. :)

Whenever you download a program, as bozodog said, choose save to disk.

That way if you ever have a problem, it's just a matter of falling back to a previous version.

This is the way I do it:

In the My Documents folder, I have a folder named Installers.

In the Installers folder, I have I, II & III.

(I try to limit the size of these folders to around 600MB. That way I can burn the whole folder to a disk.)

In each of those folders, I have folders for each program; Firefox, Ad-aware, Spybot, Irfanview, etc....

In each of these folders, I have a folder for each version; Firebird v0.7, Firefox v0.8, Firefox v0.9, Firefox v0.9.2, etc...

In each of these folders, I put the installers, and a Notepad document.

In the Notepad document, I put all the important info about the program, that I copy & paste from the website, such as program name, version #, URL of the site, how to install/uninstall, system requirements, features, etc.

Then you can burn your Installers folder, when you burn your back-up disks.

That way, if you ever have a problem with a newer version of a program, or have to reinstall your OS, you have all of your programs on disk, and ready to install.

No need to waste time re-downloading all of your programs (especially if you're on dial-up).

I hope this isn't too confusing. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree with tg1911

i save all mine as well tho havent had update problems

it is always convenient to blame win up date

and not other reasons.spybot has been a problem with blocking

other downloads in the past

ive only ever used it once

and i got rid of it.

ask pete_c and chappy

the heading alone of the problem post

makes it looks as tho up date is the problem

that is why i opened the post.

and for some one with 7 posts

its a bit rich to start pointing the finger

marty

Not too complicated, TG! :thumbsup: Thanks! I was thinking about the same thing--only putting all the antispyware stuff in one folder to keep it seperate from the kid's downloads. Breaking it up by product would make more sense. The additional notepad notes is a great idea, too! I certainly wouldn't have thought of that (and relying on this old memory?? bad idea!)

Marty, with all the glitches I've read with MS Updates, it's easy to blame them--especially if the update was the last thing you did on the computer. I've been lucky with MS Updates, but I don't install them until I look to see if folks have problems with them. I don't trust them---but yes, its not always MS fault--Son had a problem with a game. I blamed the game, and it was actually my antivirus. Never would have guessed it until I asked for help here.

And tjet is a big poster at G4, a refugee like many of us :) He abbreviated his name here, I don't remember his "full name", but I bet you know him :)

Liz

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have been offline for several days due to weather.

Yes, it was version 1.4 and there are other glitches, after turning off tea timer, spybot would no longer minimize and the registry alert display was garbled and didn't display clearly.

I have went back to 1.3.

As others have said, when I download something I burn a copy to CD so I had 1.3 laying around.