Sponsored By

Sign in to follow this  
c-man2

can't access laptop (password lockout)

HP Pavillion Dv7 entertainment PC (laptop)

original OS was windows 8. I did download the windows 10 free upgrade from microsoft. It seemed to work okay. I did a "windows update" after that and everything seemed very normal. I downloaded some music from itunes - Music download went fine. 

So then I put the laptop away about 2 months ago and haven't turned it on until yesterday. Now my user password will not work! Neither would it offer a "hint" like it usually does if I might have forgotten. Well, I didn't forget but the laptop still will not let me login as a user or the admin. I've tried every possible password old and new.

Any ideas?

Howdy c-man2, do you have a "recovery disk" ? Does it stop at the sign-in like this pic??

Before_thumb.jpg

Chuck

Yes exactly like that chuck! Except that my name is the user name displayed. Same same!! I can't get past this page because it won't accept my password (What do you call this sign-in page?). 

I'm sorry to say i don't have a rescue disk. I bought this laptop off of ebay last year and it wasn't new. The seller didn't give me a rescue disk. Can you help me?

Thank you.

Jim

Edited by c-man2

Jim (c-man), do you have any friends that can make you a recovery disk ? If not you can order one from ebay >>>  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS3&_nkw=windows+10+recovery+disk&_sacat=0

Then we can run a password re-set on it !!

Chuck

That should solve your problem Jim ! This is why everyone should back up their systems to a disk or flash drive !!

Chuck

C-man it should work just fine !

• Insert the system repair disc into your CD or DVD drive.
  • Restart your computer using the computer's power button.
  • If prompted, press any key to start the computer from the system repair disc. ...
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select a recovery option, and then click Next.

A link on how to fix lost password >>> http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

Chuck

Note; often when you install an app on windows X it will change from your computer login to your windows live login.
If the windows live had a different password, make sure you know it.