greetings all. I have an unusual problem. I have gotten a laptop from my stepson who has recently passed away. I think he may have been on some not so good sites. He had told me some time back that he thought he was hacked, and said he thinks the were able to get into his video camera. he never used it again. I knew his old password and could not get in. I went in the bios and found that the hard drive is locked. I would like to give the laptop to his brothers son for school since they don't have much money. I would like to wipe it clean and start fresh for the boy. It is a dell laptop with vista on it. I would pay for a program if needed. It may already be a door stop. I just hate the thoughts of taking a sledge hammer to it any help as always is greatly appreciated. Hope all is well with everyone.

take care,

Pat

Howdy Pat, if you want to take the Dell back to it's original factory setting you can try this it has worked on others that i reset to factory specs for others who had lost their passwords ! Let me know & if it doesn't help i may have other options in my notes !!

Chuck

1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
2. The Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up.
3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for getting back with me. Tried what you suggested, it seems to lock up on the dell screen with the progress bar full and goes no further. If you can think of anything else please let me know. As always I appreciate all your help.

Take care,

Pat