Windows 10 cannot update

Windows 10 cannot update
I wanted to check on the status of my Win 10 updates so I looked in "settings" "update and security" and clicked on update. Nothing happened, all I get is the endless progression of dots which goes on forever. Stopping and restarting the Windows update services has no effect on this situation. Looks like this situation has been going on months now.

Looks like it's stuck.

Please advise.

user_online.gifreputation.gif report.gif edit.gif

Did you ever try cleaning out your temp internet files with CCleaner ??

It will remove passwords & cookies unless you set it NOT to remove them !! I use this & recommend it to everyone that i clean their computer !!

Settings >> https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

You mean the update has been running for months ??

Chuck

Probably, i'm sure it's running in the background with the dots from one side to another. I had not checked updates until yesterday as I assumed Win10 handled them automatically. I updated manually the latest August cummulative succesfully, but the auto update is screwed.

Any ideas?

Hey,

I was having a similar issue. Here's what I did:

I downloaded Tweaking.com's Windows Repair tool from here: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Then, in the app I opened the Start Repairs tab, then clicked Custom Repairs and ticked ONLY the box that said Repair Windows Updates. Let it start the repair and hopefully it'll fix your issue.

Let us know!

B

Hey,

I was having a similar issue. Here's what I did:

I downloaded Tweaking.com's Windows Repair tool from here: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Then, in the app I opened the Start Repairs tab, then clicked Custom Repairs and ticked ONLY the box that said Repair Windows Updates. Let it start the repair and hopefully it'll fix your issue.

Let us know!

B

Thanks for the reply. I already did what you suggested and I only got into more trouble and I couldn't boot. Luckily, I had an image backup which saved the day.

The problems we are experiencing with W10 are all new compared to other Operating systems, so everyone is trying to find the answers to different problems that we have not dealt with before, so we keep looking for fixes !!!

I will look for more fixes & ask around !!

Thanks

Chuck

ameneses54 .....  try deleteing/remove KB3081436 update ! The re-boot & see if that stops the running of up-dates !! It will reinstall it but without the loops. That's what i got suggested to me ! 

Also look at this link >>> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates

I see you have asked for help in 3-4 other forums. Helpers don't like that because we don't want to many helpers working at the same time. So i am gonna sit aside & see if those helpers come up with something !!

Good Luck

Chuck

I see you have asked for help in 3-4 other forums. Helpers don't like that because we don't want to many helpers working at the same time. So i am gonna sit aside & see if those helpers come up with something !!

Good Luck

Chuck

Thanks for your reply. I really don't consider it excessive to try all venues, specially if nobody has established a reasonable solution. I started with the Microsoft forum with dismal results. If my actions have offended anyone, I'm sorry.

I still need help!

No you have not offended anyone, it's that we don't know what has been tried or offered by another helper !! So when you get 3-4 people working on the same problem it could wind up crashing the computer !! I will keep looking for a solution !!

Chuck

Try uninstalling this code >>> 3080149 <<< in updates & reinstall it !! Always check to make sure it gets uninstalled & installed !!

Chuck

Dear Chuck,

Thanks for your continued suppor. Ultimately I did the following as a last resort:

-Installed my pre-windows 10 configuration ( Win 8.1)  image "thanks god I had it"

-Downloaded the whole ISO file for Win 10 from Microsoft

-Proceeded to an upgrade install keeping all my files and apps

All I can say at this point is that everything is working OK now and I already made an image of the base Win 10 installation.

My advice for other readers, keep your system in a separate physical disc or at lease on another partition and make frequent images (Macrium Reflect).

This setup is screw up proof.