notification on computer about windows 10

Greetings all,

just wanted to know if windows 10 is ok to update on laptop (win. 7) and desktop (win. 8.1) stability wise (still beta) or should I wait? thanks for any and all input.

take care,

Pat

You can, and probably SHOULD wait to download Win 10 - The reason is due to the fact that we are all running at LEAST Windows 7, and it is not really known whether drivers for some of devices that are running on win 7 will be compatible with it.  Additionally, there may be some drivers that may not be compatible with 7 or 8.1, and even now, with my 8.1 laptop, there are devices that appear to be non-compatible, because it will say that something appears to be incompatible.

Add  the fact that Windows 10 will REMOVE specific functions as well:  Such as Media Center, Windows Media Player, and the fact that Updates for 10 cannot be delayed for Home users. We are not sure what 10 will do, but I would not jump into a 10 upgrade right off, because there are things you may lose, and it's just too new.

Brian

Hi Brian,

It's funny you mention about the features that will be lost in the upgrade to 10. I just finished reading that. I think I will wait and see how things shake out with the upgrade.

Thanks,

Pat

Also, some people have their computers set to "Don't get updates" or install ! You are going to need these updates when installing W10 !!! You’ll be asked to sign in to your Microsoft account, you can install Windows 10 with a local account. So make sure you have an account !

Chuck

It will be out sometime in July.  I ran the "upgrade advisor" and found a few programs I use need updating, one needs a new purchased version....

You can upgrade for free for one year after they release it, so I say wait a bit (just like with service packs) until the problems surface and are either fixed or well enough known that you can tell if they pose a risk to you.

Hello All:

Also, there may be drivers or programs that are not compatible NOW, but as Win 10 starts rolling out, they may add drivers for Win 10 that are not available now.  I have a unique dilemma that my roomie and I are trying to solve.  He is running Windows Vista, and I am not sure whether windows 7 or 10 will RUN on his machine, which is a Dell Inspiron 537 Desktop.

I would WAIT - Its NOT urgent that people go right to 10  - but for those running older computers like my roomie, he will have to either upgrade his desktop or go to his laptop, which is running windows 7 - 8/8.1 and 10 MAY be too much of a change for him, but vista is too old and not really feasible to run much longer.

Brian

Edited by baker7

Hey Brian, here are some facts you might or might not know which might be helpful to your room mate !!

Here's what Microsoft says you need to run Windows 10:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
  • A Microsoft account and Internet access

You might notice how these specs are the same as those for Windows 7. But there is one gotcha that you need to be aware of, and this only becomes apparent if you pull up the specs for Windows 8/8.1 and look closer at the processor specs:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2

So to sum this up :

• PAE gives 32-bit processors the ability to use more than 4 GB of physical memory on capable versions of Windows, and is a prerequisite for NX.
  • NX helps your processor guard the PC from attacks by malicious software.
  • SSE2 is a standard instruction set on processors that is increasingly used by third-party apps and drivers.

Hope some of this info will help others who keep asking me about W-10 !!

Chuck

Super great news for Windows XP & Vista ....... Microsoft has changed it's mind you will Windows 10 free !!!

Microsoft over the weekend relayed some good news for folks running older versions of Windows. It turns out that there will be a way for people still running Windows XP or Windows Vista to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Previously, it was believed that only Windows 7 and Windows 8 users would be eligible for the free upgrade.

In a recent post on its Windows Blog, Microsoft effectively writes that users running Windows preview builds as part of the Windows Insider Program will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This is certainly welcome news for DIY types looking to run a clean install without having to fork over either $109 for Windows 10 Home or $149 for Windows 10 Professional.

Chuck

• 1 month later...