Hello Everyo9ne:

Recently, helped a family member that has an old Windows XP Pro Machine - We were able to upgrade her to a Windows 7 Pro Machine.  However, she has an OLD HP Laserjet 3100 that she uses to pront documents on the older XP Machine.  I bought her the cable that will make it so that you can hook up this printer to her USB Port, but the problem is that I have read on the internet that it is possible to get a driver for this printer, then it seems that you cannot, but I need to know if there is a driver that can be used with this 3100 - I know this printer is old, but with limited resources, is there a way to make this printer weork with windows7?? 

Any Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I was Unable to use the 3100 Driver because there is no support anywhere for the 3100 Laserjet, in Win7, Unless I was gonna use Windows XP Mode on a VM.  Being that there are no further updates or support for such a machine, I was uncomfortable with this solution.  The ONLY thing she needs this Laserjet 3100 for is to SCAN documents or to fax.  So, being resourceful, I realized that she has the Laserjet 5 networked to her machine.  So I downloaded the 32-bit version of the Universal HP PCL 5/6 Printer driver, Used the Printer wizard to determine the IP Address of the Networked LJ5, and then installed the PCL5/6 driver, and pointed it to the IP of the networked printer. 

Now, all I have to do is find a workaround for the scanning and printing.  Right now, all we do is switch the network cable from the 7 machine to the xp machine and print/scan what she needs - This can be inconvenient, but I find no support for the 3100, unless the PCL5/6 driver can be used with the 3100.

Brian

There is an HP tool that solves a lot of these problems.  I used it on a networked HP all in one that worked fine in XP but would not work once upgraded to Vista. No updated drivers  / software. But I ran the tool and it installed a patch and suddenly it worked.

I will try to remember to check what I used when I am at work tomorrow.

But from this it looks like it is not going to work

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04180902&ac.admitted=1415749318213.876444892.492883150#N1004B

he following Multifunction products and All-in-Ones are not supported in Windows 7 and therefore do not support scan:
  • HP Color LaserJet 9085 mfp and 9850 mfp

• HP LaserJet 3100 All-in-One Printer series

• HP LaserJet 3150 All-in-One Printer series

If your product is listed here, you may be eligible for a trade-in allowance you can use toward the purchase of any new HP printer and more. To find out whether your product is eligible, go to HP Trade-In Program page (www.hp.com/go/tradein), select Printer - Laser from the Product category list, select the trade-in quantity, and then click >> . You might also consider an upgrade to a newer HP product that will work with the new Windows 7 operating system.

Pete:

I am aware that the 3100 probably wont work with a Windows 7 Machine, but If you could find a way to make this Scanning/faxing and possibly printing work as a work around it would be great - As It is Now, she has to hook up the XP Pro Machine to the Internet to Scan and Fax, which to me is a security risk, since all sensible workarounds are gonna be missing the UPDATES that would be necessary to keep the network safe.....

Thanks,

Brian

Have you tried running the HP print and scan doctor?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03286146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

That has solved similar issues for me.   The scan  is the hardest part.  HP was the one that first figured out how to make an all in one able to scan when connected to a network.  Previously you had to have it connected by USB or LPT.   Now that I think of it, there was a work around that worked some of the time.  I did it before the first HP network all in one came out.  Darn that was a long time ago.  Will try to dig up my old notes on that.  I think I was using a print adapter that connected to ethernet to router and let you connect USB and LPT printer to it.  I had an all in one and figured out how to get the scan working  using some third party software and a patch to windows...

Will look into that.

Pete:

Thanks again My Friend, I will Look Into this the next time I am in the Building - I would have to be in the building to see if this would work, but At LEAST it sounds like there may be a workaround for these issues. As Said Before, I am hesitant to install an XP Virtual Machine because there are NO UPDATES, and because we have 2 webservers connected to the network in our basement - I will look into this and inform my family of this information.

BT **IS** The BEST!!!!!!

Brian