I can't access HTTPS sites.

I'm running Windows 8 on my computer (the problem wasn't bothering me until recently this week) and I've tried all sorts of options, having to go on Yahoo to search up all sorts of sites, but none of these suggestions seemed to work:

- Flushing out DNS cache

- Resetting the internet connection

- Re-registering DLL files

- Clearing the SSL cache

- Resetting the computer to factory settings (yep, I was willing to go through that, my computer needed a cleaning anyways)

- Checking for Malware / Viruses using Malwarebytes and ESET 7

- Checking my time and date

- Checking my hosts file

- Just restarting the computer

- I'm using no proxy.

- I've checked the whole Internet Properties > Advanced thing. I'm using both SSL 2.0 and 3.0.

I've tried resetting my IP but for some reason it thinks that I'm not connected...

I can connect to HTTPs sites using my tablet, and my family's computers seem to be working fine except... Well, mine.

At this point, I really am stumped at what to do. This is happening in all the browsers I use (IE, Opera, Chrome, even Sleipnir). The reason why I didn't mention Firefox is, while I can access the site itself, I can't download it.

Got any clues?

EDIT: Apparently when I use the Ethernet cable, I could access HTTPs sites. Yet, when I go wireless, the problem comes back.

EDIT2: ...My laptop installed an update for Windows and now it can't go to HTTPs sites on the Ethernet cable too...

Edited by Mew

Hi Mew, and welcome to the forum ! It's really strange you cannot download Firefox !!

There is a lot more programs to use to check for Malware & virus. If you would like we can look see if there is more junk or if something might show with some scans ?? Might not find anything but what the heck !

Just let me know and start a topic in the "Malware Removal section !

Thanks

Chuck

Hi Mew, and welcome to the forum ! It's really strange you cannot download Firefox !!

There is a lot more programs to use to check for Malware & virus. If you would like we can look see if there is more junk or if something might show with some scans ?? Might not find anything but what the heck !

Just let me know and start a topic in the "Malware Removal section !

Thanks

Chuck

Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I've tried to scan my computer again but with no such luck. I don't think any malware or virus caused this because of that, but I'll think about your offer if the problem isn't solved.

Mew are you using the paid version of the 2 antiviruses ??

The primary concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously. However, even when one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some anti-virus vendors do not encrypt their definitions and will trigger false alarms if used while another resident anti-virus program is active.

To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice.

Chuck

I've uninstalled Malwarebytes and even restarted my laptop just in case, but there's no such luck.

I attempted to run my computer in Safety Mode (with connection on) and it seems like I can't access https sites there either...

I could connect with the Ethernet cable for a while, but my computer had to restart for an update and now I can't even connect to https sites on the Ethernet cable.

I'm not really using IE, I'm using Google Chrome, but Google Chrome still uses the computer's Internet Properties.

I checked the Active X controls and apparently it's enabled. 

This time I tried to use a proxy and I could connect to https sites! I'm guessing that there's a problem with my iP, who knows...