Hehe, Umm Help?

ok first question.

I recently updaetd my kernel, but now I have apps that don't want to work in Ubuntu.

using kernel 2.6.10-5-386 currently

since that was installed, some of my apps aren't working properly like Blender 3d modeller and some other Linux based programs.I was going to try and reset the menu.lst file back to the original setting, but the upgrade didn't make a backup so I have no menu.lst~ file. I'm not sure if I still have the original kernel on my HDD to get the version to set in my Grub.

Second question.

I need to do dmesg for a bugzilla report, but I'm not sure how to properly run that command. it would be for my sound card driver.

Any help is appreciated.

second question first. just enter the command dmesg, and you will get output. Then you can just copy and paste the output into your bugzilla report

did you compile your kernel by hand or did you let apt-get update it?

second question first. just enter the command dmesg, and you will get output. Then you can just copy and paste the output into your bugzilla report

did you compile your kernel by hand or did you let apt-get update it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kernel was updated via synaptic. I don't have the foggiest idea on how to compile a kernel 799.gif

but I'm wanting to learn someday.

total 6480

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59868 2005-06-24 11:47 config-2.6.10-5-386

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2005-06-27 13:32 grub

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4403200 2005-06-27 13:32 initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 94428 2005-03-31 05:08 memtest86+.bin

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 845016 2005-06-24 15:22 System.map-2.6.10-5-386

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1188539 2005-06-24 15:22 vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386

Patchlevel kernel upgrades shouldn't break anything. Is it possible that it's a module issue? Do you use any third-party drivers (e.g. NVIDIA or ATI video drivers) that might not have been reinstalled for the new kernel?

Edited by jcl

Further to what jcl said I haven't had my ubuntu box break yet using synaptic or the usual upgrade method. But, it's good to know it can be broken.

I had a thought, back when I was running redhat 9 when gnome was booting up you would have a choice about which kernel you could boot.

I haven't tried this, but, I notice that ubuntu has a 5 second delay as it boots up, I wonder if you can hit escape or something and get some options, boot into your old kernel?

Edited by hitest

Efwis,

You may want to do a kernel compile yourself anyway, you will end up with a kernel that's tweaked and optimized for your system.

Download the source tarball or package, extract it to /usr/local/src/kernel/<kernelSourceDir>

then stop by #besttechie and I'm sure there will be one or two of us around to talk you through the config and setup.

crrj.