Obamacare website and security

Lol bozodog, in my opinion this is a big joke in our medical industry ! I have a lot of relatives in that field & they say all personal will be affected by this move ! Including cost rising for medical exams, medical operations, fees, and hospital charges along with much much more !

Heh... I know I saw it all coming. Shame the voters in 2012 didn't.

They've had over 3 years to develop the site, and one guy said it's not even near a beta stage, and he said his company would hang their heads in shame if they brought out a product like it.

Don't want this to become political, I'm just concerned about the security of the data folks are expected to submit.

But it is political guys, it's Obama Care & the Dems who want it against The Repubs !! It is gonna be a catastrophical even in our History. I don't have a dog in this fight but sure wish they would just sit down & talk !!

And JD is right in a way !!

I have a friend who it's gonna cost him half his SS check unless he gets assistance and each state is different, what a mess !!

Healthcare.gov forces you to create an account and enter detailed personal information before you can start shopping. This, in turn, creates a massive traffic bottleneck, as the government verifies your information and decides whether or not you’re eligible for subsidies. HHS bureaucrats knew this would make the website run more slowly. But they were more afraid that letting people see the underlying cost of Obamacare’s insurance plans would scare people away. HHS didn’t want users to see Obamacare’s true costs “Healthcare.gov was initially going to include an option to browse before registering,†report Christopher Weaver and Louise Radnofsky in the Wall Street Journal. “But that tool was delayed, people familiar with the situation said.†Why was it delayed? “An HHS spokeswoman said the agency wanted to ensure that users were aware of their eligibility for subsidies that could help pay for coverage, before they started seeing the prices of policies.â€

whole article

Well, if nothing else it shows the need and demand.   Remember when sites would crashe whenever they were mentioned on Call For Help Or The Screen Savers?

I doubt that government officials expected people to come out in droves to take advantage of the insurance exchanges. They should have done a better job of publicizing that you do not have to have insurance / pay a penalty until April 15th of next year.

But I think that much of it is people who have not been able to shop for insurance  and did not have it because their employer does not offer it.  They really want to be able to get signed up so that they have health care options other than the emergency room and free clinic.

Remember, if you already have insurance, nothing is likely to change.  They may have to add some coverage which they had not offered in the past, but you won't have to do anything.

There are lots of sites (like the one from Kaiser) which allow you to see what your premium  and tax credit (and hence your final cost) will be without having to provide any information.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

The big deal is that instead of having to go to each individual insurance company website and  provide your information over and over to see what they will charge you, what they will cover, and where you can go you can go to one website, provide the information  (which the IRS already has and they are the ones that verify it and store it) and compare all the policies available in your area.   From what I have heard, I will have 54 different policies available at the silver level where I live.  By asking my doctor's office which PPOs etc they are members of and what insurance they accept I will be able to choose the policy which best fits my needs.

Remember, if you already have insurance, nothing is likely to change.
  That's a big "IF" your employer keeps your insurance rather than choosing to pay the fine, or kicking your hours down to 30 or under.

They may have to add some coverage which they had not offered in the past, but you won't have to do anything.
Won't have to do anything but pay more for coverage you don't want, don't need, or just plain can't afford.

Please tell me you're not drinking the kool-aid, Pete.

Anyway, I'm not talking about a website so poorly written and ill-conceived it can't handle the traffic. I'm questioning the security of such site. After all, they will have every detail of your life all in one place, ripe for the hackers from  .al, .ng, .ru, etc...

Doesn't the Gov already have all the info about you !!!

Today on the news it was reported that the Obama Care health Insurance where you sign up was created to handle about 60,000 sign ups at a time, well they had over 250,000 at one time. So the news reported, my question is how did they get that figure if the site crashed ?

Great, now we find out the developers of the site used Open Source software.

We paid this operation $100s of millions for development and they use FREE software?

Healthcare.gov, the federal government's Obamacare website, has been under heavy criticism from friend and foe alike during its first two weeks of open enrollment.  Repeated errors and delays have prevented many users from even establishing an account, and outside web designers have roundly panned the structure and coding of the site as amateurish and sloppy.  The latest indication of the haphazard way in which Healthcare.gov was developed is the uncredited use of a copyrighted web script for a data function used by the site, a violation of the licensing agreement for the software.

Obamacare Website Violates Licensing Agreement for Copyrighted Software

Security? The IRS administers the darned thing, shouldn't that be all the warning you need? They are frequently caught giving confidential information to other agencies. And now your health care data will be vulnerable too.

I'm not particularly evil so I don't know what the consequences may be - who wants that data and what do they want it for, for example. But it's probably not good.

For picking on Obama Care or the web site ?

We didn't need Obama care the way he was wanting it sit up !

And the web site was totally not ready to receive that many hits !

But to each their own !

Chuck

LOL. I was just in the neighborhood and thought I'd drop in. I see the political climate hasn't changed much since I've been gone. (I'm on your side Pete C)  :thumbsup:  .    Nice to see everyone. Hope you're all well.

I really cannot believe what I am reading here.

I thought you guys were smarter and above this stuff.

I doubt I will be back.

I hope to see you here again, Pete_C.  Moving this thread to the Politics forum. :)

"If you can't use the site, call the number!" Which crashed.

"If you need assistance, use this search for Santa's Little Helpers!" Which, in addition to actually certified helpers, returns the names of uncertified helpers. Those who are not yet certified are "obligated" to tell you they can't help you. Apparently all you have to do is apply for the job and you're listed. Any con man or identity thief can get you to contact them. Good thing they are obligated to tell you they are not certified and cannot help you.

The funny thing is, I just found a local government website that is BEAUTIFUL. It looks good, it works well, it has all the information I needed plus information I didn't know I needed. It can be done (and I bet the local government didn't take three years and whatever millions and millions of dollars to put up their site).