Help, What happened to my files

I'm not sure if this could have caused this, but I just had Microsoft/Windows update a few days ago.  I'm using the starter edition of Microsoft office which came with my Dell computer.  Desktop running Windows 7 Home.   If I click on  Documents, all of the Word and Excel files have a orange folder icon and won't open.   If I open the program, they will open.  I put in the thumb drive in the USB slot that has all of my backup files,  and they also are orange.  Since I don't know much about computers. I don't know what to do.  Any Ideas ??

Hey, gonna give you what i know on this subject !

These .xlsm files i.e. files that can contain macros !!

Word and Excel before 2010 you wont get the exclamation mark in the icon if you save as a .xlsx

If your previous version was E2003 or earlier then it never had this feature which first emerged in E2007. Don't be concerned, it's not indicative of an error despite looking like one.

I had a note in my files that some have tried a "repair": Windows Start button > Control Panel > Add/remove Programs: locate Office 2010 and right click, select Change > select Repair !!

Now i do not know if that will work or not so i am just posting that info for you !!

Hope this helps some !

Chuck

Maybe more will weight in on this subject !!!

Hey, gonna give you what i know on this subject !

These .xlsm files i.e. files that can contain macros !!

Word and Excel before 2010 you wont get the exclamation mark in the icon if you save as a .xlsx

If your previous version was E2003 or earlier then it never had this feature which first emerged in E2007. Don't be concerned, it's not indicative of an error despite looking like one.

I had a note in my files that some have tried a "repair": Windows Start button > Control Panel > Add/remove Programs: locate Office 2010 and right click, select Change > select Repair !!

Now i do not know if that will work or not so i am just posting that info for you !!

Hope this helps some !

Chuck

Maybe more will weight in on this subject !!!

Chuck, thanks for the help, I'll try that.   I'm 70 and not very good with this stuff.   This problem just started, I've been using them for some time.  If I hit  Documents, all of the Excel and Word  folders are orange.  If I click on one of them, a screen opens and shows how to purchase the program.  It also says, that the program to open these files is not on your computer.  It's been on there for a few years.   I don't have the disks to reinstall the program.  The strange thing is that if I hit start, all programs, Microsoft  Office Starter, and click on Word OR Excel, they open all the files with no problem.  With this problem, I can't back up a file to a thumb drive. 

O  M   G,  Chuck your suggestion worked.   I should have tried that before typing in the last response which took me  a long time.   I can't thank you enough for that help, you saved my sanity and having to go out for another bottle of Jack Daniels.

Edited by howardg

howard, sometimes we get lucky with the knowledge we pick up & stick away in notes !

So glad it worked !

Happy Surfing !!

Chuck

Oh I'm right behind you at 67 !!

Chuck,  since I'm on  a streak, when I run Malware every once in a while, I get this in the results.  Do you know what it is ? 

Registry Keys Detected: 1

HKCR\AppID\{D616A4A2-7B38-4DBC-9093-6FE7A4A21B17} (PUP.Optional.Wajam.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Howard, >>> PUP.Optional.Wajam.A it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,†or potentially unwanted program.
The PUP.Optional.Wajam.A infection is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results. You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this PUP.Optional.Wajam.A browser hijacker. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.

With that said here is a program that will remove it & other unwanted junk !!

Please download adwcleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.

*Click on the Scan button.
    *AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
    *After the scan has finished...
    *This time, click on the Clean button.
    *Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
    *Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
    *After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[s0].txt) will open automatically.
    *Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
    *A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

I would like to see the log it produces if you don't mind !!

Like i said It's not harmful !!

Chuck

OK, that was easy.  Should I run this program occasionally just to check the computer. if so, how do I get the address ?  I run Malware and the Norton a couple times a week.  Usually get tracking cookies .

# AdwCleaner v3.004 - Report created 16/09/2013 at 10:01:34
# Updated 15/09/2013 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Howard - HOWARD-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Howard\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\EMRTF5FF\adwcleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Howard\AppData\Local\SwvUpdater
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Howard\AppData\LocalLow\iac

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{AFBCB7E0-F91A-4951-9F31-58FEE57A25C4}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\IM
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\ImInstaller
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\ImInstaller
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{A92DAB39-4E2C-4304-9AB6-BC44E68B55E2}

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.16686

-\\ Google Chrome v29.0.1547.66

[ File : C:\Users\Howard\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2495 octets] - [16/09/2013 10:00:42]
AdwCleaner[s0].txt - [2248 octets] - [16/09/2013 10:01:34]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[s0].txt - [2308 octets] ##########

Edited by howardg

Howard, yes it's a good program & here is another i use both because of my surfing for Viruses & other junk that is colloected as we look on the net !!!

AdwCleaner link  >>>  http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

thisisujrt.gif Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save to your desk top.

Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.

* Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
    * The tool will open and start scanning your system.
    * Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
    * On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
    * Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply !

Re-Boot your computer now !!

To keep their link just right click the name & hit copy link location then you can right click & paste it into a note pad or word pad & save it !! !!

Let me know if Junkware Removal Tool finds a lot !

Chuck