Black screen on a Gateway ZX4300

Hey all, 

A friend of mine (same person who had the HP4410t I posted about in the win 7 forum) gave me a a Gateway ZX4300 all-in-on PC to fix, The symptoms were no screen, which I have comfirmed by powering up and their is no POST at all but I do hear the CD and fans spin I think. I have read and saw videos online that this particular model is notorious of having the black screen because of heat issues. I'm curious if anyone here messed with a gateway system with this similar problem and curious if it was a easy fix or not. 

Here's a small update:

Got the cover(s) off of it, and it was a pain to remove it, the fan on starts for a split second and stops. The heatsink

and CPU are hot to the touch.

Which fan?  If the fans aren't spinning... that's obviously not good.  Can you tell if the hard drive has any activity?

B

Hi Mr. President,

As you can see by the image there is only one fan. The fan is at the top of Mobo, I just laided out this way.

I'll check the HD, and see if I hear anything. There is one thing that I'm sort of concerned about is that there is no POST beeps..

post-661-0-57823900-1375234086_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

I haven't really messed with the computer lately cause I'm not really sure what to do with it. I have come accross

this video from Youtube about this computer, and I'm hesitant as to this really should work.  Would you mimd looking

at this and tell me, if this guy is crazy or not.

John

Anyone have any thoughts on this video, before I do it?

I don't like the idea of overheating stuff on purpose, but he does have a point: "What do you have to lose?"  

I'd just stress having some kind of backup (if you care about the data) just in case something goes terribly wrong.

B

• 4 years later...