Edward Snowden

So what are your thoughts on Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor on the run ???

I think they (USA) should just ask the guy to come back & talk ! I really have not read anything that he has said that is "top secret" !! Guess it's what he hasn't said that they want him so bad !! Lets make a deal time, perhaps !!!!

Chuck

He leaked some top secret information to the World and he is now a wanted man; he has been charged by the USA.  If he returns home he will be immediately arrested.  I doubt he will willingly come home.  Excellent topic Chuck.  I've been following this story with interest.

I'm conflicted.

That the NSA is storing so much data under a general warrant because some of it might be useful some day is important to know, and if he hadn't done what he did, we'd still be guessing about that.

On the other hand, he broke the law to bring that information to light, and he is leaking other information that brings his motives into question.

On the other, other hand, the law is twisted, basically saying you can come forward with illegal activity and be protected under whistleblower protection, but you can't report anything because until a court decides otherwise, everything we do is legal, because we say so. That's fucked up.

On another hand, a whistleblower is someone who reports illegal (or, in my opinion, highly questionable) activity using legal means, and a traitor is someone who reports secrets using illegal means, and Snowden is clearly in the latter category.

Conflicted.

The USA claimes he must have leaked details of two top-secret government data-gathering programs.

But they have not said/gave any onfo on the programs of what type info or what kind of data the programs could/would gather ! And just who did he leak them to !

Now it comes out
The documents released by Snowden have had their effect, what effect ??
And said that the Internet use and phone call monitoring programs are conducted legally and with proper oversight. Is this the same as eaves dropping, which every country has done since the cold war !!! And if the monitoring was done legally, why do they want him for ?? I think he does know something & they want to keep him quiet !! But we will never hear about it ALL !

He had a clearance in order to know about  and work with this information.

That means he signed a non disclosure agreement and was warned of the consequences of disclosing any classified material.

There are paths available if he felt that the program was doing anything illegal, but they do not include disclosing classified material to the public or foreign nationals.

He committed the crime of espionage and deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

The activities of the NSA were approved by Congress when they passed the Patriot act and followup legislation. They were approved by a court set up to review such activities.  They were approved by the supreme court.  Those Senators and Representatives with appropriate clearance were briefed on and aware of these activities.

Anyone who paid attention and read the language of the Patriot act, or even just read what others warned about knew that this was a potential consequence. 

But none of that gave him immunity to ignore his NDA, and violate national security.

He supposedly said that interception of  metadata and the PRISM and Tempora Internet surveillance programs of the European nations. So doesn't everyone listen into those conservations. I still think he will be back with no job & a slap on the wrist !! But will every Business want him ....... mmmmmmmmmmmm !!!

Chuck

I still think he will be back with no job & a slap on the wrist !! But will every Business want him ....... mmmmmmmmmmmm !!!

Chuck

He embarrassed the USA and caused a loss of face internationally.  In my opinion he will not be let off easy.  If he is caught I predict he will go to jail.

He embarrassed the USA and caused a loss of face internationally.  In my opinion he will not be let off easy.  If he is caught I predict he will go to jail.

Could be but they might want him & what he knows enough to make a trade off !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Today News: The United States has bugged European Union offices and gained access to EU internal computer networks, according to secret documents cited in a German magazine on Saturday, the latest in a series of exposures of alleged U.S. spy programs.

They said, U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) document that it said fugitive former NSA contractor Edward Snowden had taken with him, and the weekly's journalists had seen in part.

The document outlines how the NSA bugged offices and spied on EU internal computer networks in Washington and at the United Nations, not only listening to conversations and phone calls but also gaining access to documents and emails.

Snowden what more secrets do you have ?