Another problem occurred when my other daughter was watching YouTube and Facebook on her Fujitsu laptop. It quit and refused to boot. The laptop powered on passed the splash screen, then nothing. Vista will not load. It would eventually say "error code 00420004" or "Disk read error occurred" - ctrl, alt, delete to restart". When I do the ctrl, alt and delete to restart, Vista will not load. Does it mean the hard drive is toasted? How can I run CHKDSK or any other commands when Vista does not load? Thanks.

Hello:

Try THIS

Sounds like your HDD on this laptop may be going.....Try to reboot into Safemide and see if it works :)

Keep us advised please ;)

Brian

:

Thanks, guys. I have tried to boot into safemode but no dice. I sent an email (max. allowed characters - 200, lol, you can't write much) to Fujitsu Support. In the mean time, I have ordered a hard drive. I have recovery disks but no Vista disk. What a bummer! Also I can see there is a hidden partition for recovery with Acronis True Image. Does it mean Acronis can copy it to my new hard drive?

Dragon, if you have a Recovery disk, then i would try it Reboot or turn on your Fujitsu and press "F12", Highlight "Recovery and Utility" using your arrow keys and press "Enter." If this options does not appear, you have to recover directly from the recovery disc.Click "Recovery and Utility" on the "System Recovery Options" screen.

Click the "Recovery" tab and click "Restoring the Factory Image (only C:\drive)." Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your Fujitsu. Some models may require a supplied recovery disc be inserted at this point. Just follow prompts !!

Worth a try if you have the disk !!!!

Chuck

Dragon, if you have a Recovery disk, then i would try it Reboot or turn on your Fujitsu and press "F12", Highlight "Recovery and Utility" using your arrow keys and press "Enter." If this options does not appear, you have to recover directly from the recovery disc.Click "Recovery and Utility" on the "System Recovery Options" screen.

Click the "Recovery" tab and click "Restoring the Factory Image (only C:\drive)." Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your Fujitsu. Some models may require a supplied recovery disc be inserted at this point. Just follow prompts !!

Worth a try if you have the disk !!!!

Chuck

Hi, Chuck: Do I lose all my data and files if I use the recovery option?

Yes i think you will loose everything because it would make the computer like it was when you first bought it !!!! And even then it might not work if it's a failing hard drive !

Chuck

Yes i think you will loose everything because it would make the computer like it was when you first bought it !!!! And even then it might not work if it's a failing hard drive !

Chuck

Fujitsu wants 15 bucks for each recovery disc. And my new hard drive has arrived so I switched out the hard drive on the laptop. I can see the data on my old drive with my desktop but I can't copy it all. So it is the hard drive at the end of the rope. I put it in the freezer and hopefully I will be able to copy more data tomorrow.

Does Windows 7 has a built in partitioning software? If yes, I am unable to find it.

Hey dragon, Windows 7 and Vista include a built-in functionality in Disk Management to shrink and expand partitions. Open up Control Panel, and type in partition into the search box.. you’ll immediately see the link show up. I will give you a link >>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Hope you get you missing data back. Keep us informed on your progress so it may help others !!

Thanks

Chuck

Hey dragon, Windows 7 and Vista include a built-in functionality in Disk Management to shrink and expand partitions. Open up Control Panel, and type in partition into the search box.. you’ll immediately see the link show up. I will give you a link >>> http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Hope you get you missing data back. Keep us informed on your progress so it may help others !!

Thanks

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I finally found the partitioning function in Windows 7. The freezer method didn't help me in getting the data back. It was the hard drive because it made clicking noise. Although I set the hard drive into C: and D:, the desktop could only see some data on D: due to reading errors. Therefore; I suggest to everyone to back up data to an external drive instead of different partition on the same drive. Now the laptop is back to functioning well with a new hard drive and Windows 7.