Looking to drop cable, old desktop is just that, oooold, and slow. Looking to buy a new one just for using for internet surfing, hook up to tv (vizio flatscreen). Do not do any picture editing, stuff like that, but researching puts my head spinning. Any recommendations? I know thats a very open question, but when it comes to shopping, I get to the part of video cards, sound cards, etc and I have enough on my plate nowadays. Hulu, netflix etc would be used with it. Thanks, Jim.

Hi, do you have a price range in mind ?? Or a preferred brand name ?

I have always owned a HP & never had anything go bad ! But i am very particular on keeping junk out & running cleaning programs frequently, beside keeping everything up to date !!

Chuck

Hi, do you have a price range in mind ?? Or a preferred brand name ?

I have always owned a HP & never had anything go bad ! But i am very particular on keeping junk out & running cleaning programs frequently, beside keeping everything up to date !!

Chuck

Not really any preference, I read these reviews, this brand bad, this brand good, Ive had HP, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, All seem pretty much the same parts to me. I dont want to spend a bundle, 5-700, maybe. No gaming, no photo editing. Had a Gateway that came with ME, wore that out, using and older Dell with xp now, slooooooow. Going to switch using an HP laptop win win7 for bills, etc. Thought about building one, have tinkered with old ones, added ram, switched HDs, took a few old ones and mad a couple that worked. But we want to use this mainly for tv and web. Yeah, Im cheap. If it cost more, well, not having to pay the cable company more and more each month will pay for it.

Maybe Besttechie (Jeff) will weight in on this, i know he is a lot more on the Techie side than i am ! I know a lot of people who just goes with what they think ia a good brand & best based on their needs ! Wish i could be of more help !! You might want to read/look threw this >> http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/electronics/computers--internet/16952110001/

Chuck

Other than avoiding total crap ones, My advice is that whatever you buy it is obsolete before you get out the door.

So don't sweat it too much, get what does what you need on your budget.

Do not overlook "refurbished" units, they are in general unused units, which a major retailer did not sell before the new model came out. They are then returned to the manufacturer for credit on the next shipment of the new model. Under Federal law, they can no longer be sold as new. They must be unboxed, inspected, tested (and this means every one, unlike new units where you are lucky if one in a hundred is actually tested), and repackaged in a box labeled refurbished.

Wife bellowing, have to go.

She wanted me to uninstall / reinstall her facebook games. Amazing how frustrated some people get when something free and of no value fails to work.

Darn, where did I see the list of top ten PCs to buy.

I think they concluded that the most reliable one was to buy a Mac and run windows on it (not as easy as it sounds but doable).

Ah that was all I needed to remember to find the article

http://www.zdnet.com/want-the-most-reliable-windows-pc-buy-a-mac-or-maybe-a-dell-7000014469/

Also now, Laptops are no longer an expensive alternative which appeals to students and businessmen; they are more and more reliable replacements for the bulky PC if you do not plan on component changes.

Remember, if you opt for windows 8 that it was really designed for the touch screen / tablets so if you are opting for a standard PC try to get one with windows 7.

Thanks for all your comments and help. I think maybe I was over thinking the whole thing. Way too easy to read too much and think you need what all the magazine writers talk about. I decided to just hookup my laptop, went out and bought a hdmi cable, had to download an update so the port would work and the grandson is watching a movie now. Need to figure out how to set the laptop so the other kids sticky fingers will stay away, but I think I will just work with this and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your comments and help. I think maybe I was over thinking the whole thing. Way too easy to read too much and think you need what all the magazine writers talk about. I decided to just hookup my laptop, went out and bought a hdmi cable, had to download an update so the port would work and the grandson is watching a movie now. Need to figure out how to set the laptop so the other kids sticky fingers will stay away, but I think I will just work with this and see how it goes. Thanks again.

You can also have a look at Tiger Direct. We've been very happy with the several "bare bones" kits we bought. They can be had for $350-450. Our local Community Center buys refurbished models and haven't had any trouble with their 8 hour a day usage.

• 1 month later...

Just to update, the laptop stays on  all the time, just set it up hibernate after 30 minutes and it works great. Did buy a last years model desktop, Gateway,  AMD E1-1200 processor, AMD Radeon HD 7310 graphics to use for the tv, but it SUCKED. Video was jumpy, and seemed like the picture was split second behind the sound all the time, so went back to the laptop. Guess I will just use the desktop for my files, all my service manuals, etc since it has a huge HD. Live and learn. Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete_C,

I was looking for a desktop before I start grad school this August.  I know building your own PC can be a better bet, i.e.: choosing quality parts yourself, lower cost for more, no bloatware etc.  However, I am pressed for time and don't know if I want to devote the time to building my own rig.  With that said is there anyway I could see a great lists of desktop PCs specifically? I am looking to spend around 1,000 dollar's.  I have checked Tom's Hardware, PC Mag, CNet, and it's hard to get  definitive list.

Any help would be amazing!

Pete_C,

I was looking for a desktop before I start grad school this August.  I know building your own PC can be a better bet, i.e.: choosing quality parts yourself, lower cost for more, no bloatware etc.  However, I am pressed for time and don't know if I want to devote the time to building my own rig.  With that said is there anyway I could see a great lists of desktop PCs specifically? I am looking to spend around 1,000 dollar's.  I have checked Tom's Hardware, PC Mag, CNet, and it's hard to get  definitive list.

Any help would be amazing!

Hey Iskandr,

Any reason you're looking for a desktop over a laptop?  For school, you may get more use out of a laptop.  Also, what do you plan on doing with the computer?

B

Hey Mr. President,

I actually have a laptop that's about a year and a half old; one that I am very happy with.  So that laptop will be perfect.  It is however a basic laptop despite it meeting normal needs.  However, I like desktops because of a more 'engrossing' experience.  I also like to game on my desktop too, very much so as a matter of fact lol and my laptop cannot meet those needs. I also have a large collection of vinyl and cds that I am currently transferring over to my current desktop and the storage capacities end up being a lot more generous, as do the sound abilities through the desktop.  I am well aware of the fact that I can hook up nice speakers to my laptop, as probably most professional DJs do, I however like it through a desktop. 

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but all in all I've always liked the desktop better than the rest.

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Hey Mr. President,

I actually have a laptop that's about a year and a half old; one that I am very happy with.  So that laptop will be perfect.  It is however a basic laptop despite it meeting normal needs.  However, I like desktops because of a more 'engrossing' experience.  I also like to game on my desktop too, very much so as a matter of fact lol and my laptop cannot meet those needs. I also have a large collection of vinyl and cds that I am currently transferring over to my current desktop and the storage capacities end up being a lot more generous, as do the sound abilities through the desktop.  I am well aware of the fact that I can hook up nice speakers to my laptop, as probably most professional DJs do, I however like it through a desktop. 

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but all in all I've always liked the desktop better than the rest.

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Sounds good, Alex.  I like desktops too.  If you're a PC guy (and it sounds like you are), have you considered the K series from Lenovo?  I'm a fan of Lenovo computers (both laptops and desktops) when it comes to Windows machines.  

Check out what you can get for around $1,000 here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/ideacentre/k-series/

B