Problem in copying folder to external hard drive

My daughter could not copy a folder from her desktop to an external hard drive. At certain point, her laptop goes into bsod and restarts. I told her to check the connections, clear vents of laptop to prevent overheating... but to no avail. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Here is her information:

"This is what the problem is, according to microsoft.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 7a

BCP1: C0588570

BCP2: C0000056

BCP3: 5AF008C0

BCP4: B10AE028

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 2_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042713-02.dmp

C:\Users\Krista Lai\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-91291-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Krista Lai\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB6DF.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

What does this all mean? I've scanned my computer, the external hard drive, and the folder in question with Malware and Microsoft Security Essentials."

Hi Dragon, i think her Netgear wireless driver is messing up. Visit Netgear.com to download and install the latest driver for your wireless adapter.

Let us know if that helped !!

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. I shall let her know. Since she is away from home at University, she may not be brave enough to tackle a simple update. I usually do all those things for her when she is home. Now I know how to tackle the problem, it is a matter of time to get it solve. Thanks.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-with-this-error-code/03276fa2-6dcb-44d0-a778-499d5d00b65d

The error code KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A states that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. It appears that there are some issues with the hard disk.

Use check disk command for any errors on hard disk -

Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted. For safety you can back up your data before using the check disk command.

Use the check disk commands as follows:

1. Click Start.

2. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.

3. Type at the command prompt CHKDSK /P and press ENTER to scan the disk.

4. Then type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

You may refer to the below mentioned link for more details -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms793989.aspx

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks,

Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Note that chkdsk /p is only available in recovery console, not when you are booted to windows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

• 4 weeks later...

Chuck and Pete: I have a chance to work on my daughter's laptop. I have checked the the device manager and there is no Netgear adapter, so move on to Pete's suggestion. Before I ran chkdsk, I decided to uninstall old programs, update plugins and software. A few minutes into defragging the C drive, Auslogics Defragger quit and Vista went into check disk mode by itself. I didn't do anything and CHKDSK was done and repaired a few files. So I have to wait to see if bsod occurs again. Now I find that I cannot uninstall Windows Live Essential 2011in Vista. Error code 0x8028006. Googled it and applied the Fit It from Microsoft but it didn't work. Any suggestion? A few Microsoft 6 to 4 adapters under Network in device manager with yellow exclamation marks. Vista said cannot load driver but also said driver is up to date. But it does not affect the wireless/internet connection. Are they necessary or can I delete them?

Have you tried this. I found it in some older notes i had ! It's all i could find on problems like yours !

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.

In the Uninstall or change program list, click Windows Live Essentials. and then click Uninstall/Change.

Click Remove one or more Windows Live programs.

Select the programs that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.

Note: To completely remove Windows Live Essentials, select all the Windows Live programs.

Maybe Pete will check back or one of the other Mods with some help suggestions ??

Chuck

Have you tried this. I found it in some older notes i had ! It's all i could find on problems like yours !

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.

In the Uninstall or change program list, click Windows Live Essentials. and then click Uninstall/Change.

Click Remove one or more Windows Live programs.

Select the programs that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.

Note: To completely remove Windows Live Essentials, select all the Windows Live programs.

Maybe Pete will check back or one of the other Mods with some help suggestions ??

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. I followed the steps to "Click Remove one or more Windows Live programs", then no programs shown but a pop up window to say uninstall is done but it is not because nothing is removed. Well I think I just leave it.

Okay, often when you have a problem uninstalling something the simplest fix is to download and install it again, then uninstall it.

This way damaged or missing registry entries and install logs needed by the uninstaller are present.

The other possibility is that it was indeed uninstalled but the uninstall entry is still there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310750

I normally just use Add / Remove programs cleaner

http://download.cnet.com/Add-Remove-Program-Cleaner/3000-2096_4-10572853.html

Cautionary note, use this on programs that have been removed or where the entry is causing a problem with installing a new version; once you run it the entry is gone and you may find that the only way to uninstall the program is to reinstall it first.