Hi, I curently have McAfee installed and the 1 year contract that I have is about to runout so I need a new antivirus. I have ZA which offers a antivirus should I go for it or should I go some alternatives AVAST or AVG Antivirus. ALSO I have a anti spyware program called ewido should I get something else? What is the best?

HAHA. ALways figures, dont it?

Anyway, i agree with what mboverload said over at G4:

AVAST or AVG are great. If you want to pay for antivirus Kaspersky is as good as it gets I beleive.

I have never heard of that spyware program, Spybot, MS Antispyware, and AdAware are good.

Hi XCannon,

I have Mcafee too, since 1999, and haven't "paid" for it....ever. If you like Mcafee, between now and the time it expires, look in your Sunday Paper Ads to see if it is offered "free with rebate". Usually Staples or Office Max run the "free with rebate" deal quite frequently. I'll try to remember to look at the ads for you, too. (remind me with a pm on Sunday night if you don't hear anything from me--I'm brilliant at forgetting things :) )

Also, once it expires, the only thing you "lose" is updates (it still protects and works), so if you can't find any rebate deals before your version expires, let me know, and I'll let you know when my version updates after your version expires, it might buy you another week or so to look at those ads.

And Mcafee has a "free virus scan" at their site--never used it, not sure if it's the "full package" (it should be if they want to sell product!), using that might buy you a bit more time to wait for a rebate deal, too.

AND if you do decide to "bite the bullet" and buy Mcafee anyways (they "say" the purchased versions of AV may be better than the freebies, I'm not sure, though, again, see what the experts say) Walmart has the best price around. Last time I looked it was $35 for the Internet Security Suite (AV, Firewall, Privacy thing and Spamblock thing--I just use the AV and Firewall), so if you buy just the AV, it should be less, guessing maybe $20-25??.

I've read "mixed reviews" about ZA, but read that Avast and AVG are both good, with AVG maybe being a little better, according to users. (wait for some more opinions from the experts here!!)

For Spyware, I know nothing about Ewido, but thanks to the folks here, I use Adaware (very easy to use), Spybot S&D (scans quickly, but a tiny bit scarier to use) and SpywareBlaster. I love SpywareBlaster--its like a firewall for spyware--it prevents most "cooties" from installing in the first place. Very easy to install and update (big noob here, easy is good) and it's "popped up" a couple of times when "surfing" and possibly saved my arse from spyware installing in the first place. And they say you can't have enough antispyware programs, sure wouldn't hurt to add these on!

Liz

What I use for spyware prevention:

a² free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. a² fills this gap.

Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.

Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.

SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.

SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

And of course:

Firefox

Been spyware free for over 3 yrs.

eTrust is a very good AV too..It auto updates and you can set it to auto scan nightly too. You can get a year free at the MicroSoft site. Don't go for the 30 day one at eTrust. I used it for 3 months and went back to Avast free. I like the interface better. But it did a very good job of keeping me clean. (I tend to get lost in some rather dark alleys following links all over the WWW.)

not mine I know that for sure, lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not gonna answer your question because of that system error thing in your post... :P:P actually I've used avg for awhile and I haven't had any baddies.

thx for the offer Liz, but I'm going to go with the free alternatives McAfee slows down my PC a bit and I hate that so I will prob try tg1911's programs, I'll also try Avast & Avg ^_^ . Thank You for all of your replys.

P.S. My McAfee will expire in about 25 days so how can I remove it for good not just add/remove and the folder in programs?

Eww, that could be a problem... Check out their site for a removal tool? I know Norton's has stuff in every cobwebbed corner of WinOpSys... And has a tool on the site for it. (cripe, it took me months to get rid of all of Earthlink, AOL is the same)

eTrust is a very good AV too..It auto updates and you can set it to auto scan nightly too. You can get a year free at the MicroSoft site. Don't go for the 30 day one at eTrust. I used it for 3 months and went back to Avast free. I like the interface better. But it did a very good job of keeping me clean. (I tend to get lost in some rather dark alleys following links all over the WWW.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, one of the premiums for SBC yahoo DSL is eTrust AV. I use it, and i must say i am thoroughly satisfied. Running it in conjunction with ZoneAlarm, I haven't had any spyware/virus/trojan/worm trouble for a long time now....