Computer Field?

Oooh, Shanenin, that does look like a steep roof! Are you planning on tearing off the old or applying a new layer over the old?

Are you planning on roofing because it is leaking or just "looking tired"? Steep roofs like that can look ugly for a long time before they start to leak, because rain/snow runs off it so quickly.

Roofing is probably the easiest construction work there is! The trick is to follow the directions and keep the lines of shingles straight and don't sit in roofing tar while wearing shorts like I did! Although Hubby had a great time removing the tar that I couldn't see :blink: The modern shingles make this job almost dummyproof. The bad part is the heights and steep roofs--although that tool Tenmm showed looks like a lifesaver (literally!). Our house has a similar roofline to yours, I re-roofed the one story parts (fired Hubby from that job, too, his shingles were applied too crooked for my picky taste, he got housework duty), but I'm deathly afraid of heights, so we hired the two story part done.

The roofers replaced vents like yours with ridgeline vents (now that did look a little complicated) but with the hot summer we've had in MI, the upstairs is cooler than previous hot summers. And it looks really, really nice without the little "boxes" sticking up.

Liz

I think it may be leaking ever so lightly on one side, we seem to have a little water damage in the upstairs, the paint is discolored. Plus when we move in a year or two, it will help to have a nice roof.

Yes I have to pull the old shingles off. underneith the shinges are just 3/4 inch lathe with inch spaces, the kind that are used with wood shakes. I will need to add 3/8 inch OSB to make a solid smooth roof.

You mentioned a ridge line vent, is that the long vent that goes accros the top, that would be nice. You say complicated, why is that(it looks simple, I don't really know)?

Yep, Shanenin, if you're getting some discoloration, it's leaking a little!

Our house has the old plank underlayment, too. In fact, on the two story part, there was a layer of cedar shakes under 2 layers of asphalt! You should have heard the roofers. They said, "oh my gosh, there's still the original shakes up here!!!" They got a kick out of it (fortunately!)

I worked in the flooring industry and was taught OSB was bad, bad, bad, but it's what the roofers use nowadays. I questioned OSB and asked about plywood, as I would have paid extra for it, but each of the 7 roofers I talked to (getting estimates!) said OSB is made better now and recommended for roofs. And so far, so good.

Because the area of roof I did was so small, I simply used a claw hammer and tack puller to remove the old shingles, but the roofers used good ol' snowshovels to remove the old roof. Do watch out for flying nails. Because we have a dog, the roofers layed tarps and ran some magnet powered gadget to collect the nails, but 2 years later, I was still picking nails out of the flowerbeds and we've had our share of tire repairs!

Yep, the ridge vent is the long vent that goes along the top or peak of the roof. The complicated part with the ridge vent was that the roofers did some cutting along the ridge (I don't exactly know how they did it or exactly where they cut, it was along the ridgeline, obviously!) You'll need to research exactly where the cuts need to be, as you don't want the roof to collapse on you! The actual installation of the ridge vent itself looked easy, it was the underlayment work underneath that looked tricky.

Liz

Aw Shucks, Thanks, Shanenin :blush: *As I turn around and look at my rear end, yep, its still too big, why can't I put that on my chest?? :D * Growing up with 4 sisters, no brothers, we were my Dad's "hey-boys", and buying an old house taught me a lot, too!!

Liz

When I was 12 (many, many moons ago) my uncles placed tools in my hands and taught me the skills to be an automotive mechanic. When I was 16 my father taught me the skill of rigging and being a steeple jack. When I hit eighteen I was capably turning wrenches on any type of fuel source engine and working all types of construction (residential, commercial and industrial).

I have worked on dairy farms and mucks as a laborer, custodian, lifeguard, steeple jack, painter, welder, mason, carpenter, roofer, sheet rocker, electrician, steamfitter, pipeliner, (soils, concrete and welding) inspecter, 10 and 18 wheel driver, heavy equipment operator and mechanic, automotive mechanic (working in speed shops, drag car and oval track teams), work at one tavern as bartender/manager and then owner, landscaper, machinist, pool table and cuestick repair and a few othe rjobs that I can't think of off the top of my head.

About 7 years ago while sitting at my desk designing a retention system with my trusty pencils and paper my great niece came over and told me that I should get with the times and buy a computer. That was the beginning of my interest in these confounding machines. I have taught myself how to use (to an extent) and repair them. All it took was word of mouth and now all f my friends and family bring their PCs to me plus tell all of their friends.

I use all of my skills doing side jobs of any type. My biggest problem is I prefer to work for myself when now I need to find a job with benefits and insurance once I get off of disability. It is time to think about setting up a pension and building up my Social Security.

Oh my gosh, TT!! Sounds like you have done.....everything! Your resume must be 10 pages long! Well, if you jump into the "corporate workforce", you sure have a wide variety to choose from--and could you make sure my "roofing advice" to Shanenin in on target? Especially with the ridgevents. A steeplejack is the ultimate roofer :) .

Liz