Computer Field?

are many of you employed in the computer field of some sort? do any of you have degrees in computer science?

I myself am currently just a waiter, with no colledge education. I hope to get into home pc service, repair both hardware and software, and home networking.

Edited by shanenin

The only field I have been in is the one that has a crop growing in it. :lol:

College was never a option for me so the best I did was HS :thumbsup:

No regrets never looked back -_-

PC's are a outlet for all the time I have left after a 12-14 hour work day... :wacko:

If you want to go back to school better stop talkin and get too doing,other wise you will talk yourself out of it.

My hats off to anyone who does with their lives what they dream about doing with it. :matrix:

are many of you employed in the computer field of some sort? do any of you have degrees in computer science?

I myself am currently just a waiter, with no colledge education. I hope to get into home pc service, repair both hardware and software, and home networking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not having a college education is nothing to be ashamed of...I dropped out of school after finishing the 9th. grade...got my GED when I was 55 years old...I love working on my own computer but not on other people's. I sure don't want to discourage you but computer service is a very competitive business...if that is what you like then go for it and I wish you all the best.

In the Computer Field?.....hmmm....wish I could be now... :D

No..I'm in construction/road maint. I was pestered by my daughters to get a computer about 4yrs ago now.....and ever since then I've become hooked. Got a lot to learn yet.. :blush: and having a great time.

Some day I would like to be on the HJT team... :thumbsup: ...but I got a long way to go before that... :lol:

What DO you do Tenmm?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He has the most important job in the entire world, he's a Grandfather! :thumbsup:

Bearskin, good for you!! Getting that GED after so many years out of school is a great accomplishment, and what a terrific example you set for others!

Murtu, you go!! You have some mighty high goals, don't ever give them up, you'll do great in any of those fields!

As far as going to school in the Computer Field, be careful, check everything, and ask questions! I have a nephew who was "accepted into a very prestigious program for computer technology". The university made it sound like a "huge honor" for him, completely brainwashed his parents with this "huge honors program". Come to find out, the school was recruiting as many students as possible, so the tech department would benefit and the profs would keep their classes full, hence, keeping their jobs. After 3 1/2 years, he didn't even have an Associates degree and hardly any of his classes would transfer to any other college (because it was "such an exclusive program")

He tried a semester at the local community college, dropped out because of frustration.

He DID get a job that he absolutely LOVES, setting up computer networks at schools, but he got the job because he got his A++ Certification (not at the college), not a college degree.

What I would recommend for College is get your Associates or Transfer Degree,-- English, Biology, Math, all the basics, FIRST before deciding on any specialized program. I know too many 40 year olds who attempted to go to college and got discouraged re-learning the basics they knew in high school. Get the basics out of the way, the next two years will be easy, because you'll be taking the classes you are interested in!

Most important, whether you're a grocery store clerk or a high powered executive, try to find a profession that you love doing every day. Rich or poor, if you love your job, you'll be happy.

Oh, Shanenin, now that I'm done lecturing, no computer degee for me, I did go to college but have Bachelors Degrees in Art and Psych, with minors in Art History and education, if I student taught, I would have had a teaching degree,too. Was "prepped" to be an Art Therapist, but the school I went to didn't allow internships until Senior year, and I discovered I hated every blooming minute of being an Art Therapist, so I'm an old retail girl who's now "just a housewife" (which I love doing!) My computer "knowledge" (guessing is more accurate) comes from Dummies Books and this wonderful place!

Liz

Once upon a time I was a system administrator. The local middle school inexplicably decided to expand their hodgepodge Windows/NetWare network with a lab full of Sun hardware. The IT department was (and remains) understaffed -- the entire department was one tech and group of teacher and student volunteers -- and strongly Windows/NetWare oriented. The tech and I were acquainted and because I was apparently the only person in town who had experience with anything like Solaris (but still no experience at with Solaris) I was recruited to help manage the lab. Three years later and none the richer, I gave myself over to the sweet embrace of unemployment.

The only computer science training I've had is two intermediate programming classes a community college. Learned a lot about computer science classes, nothing at all about computer science.

Hey shanenin...

Sometimes i swear we don't pick the field.Sometimes the field does the pickin'....i was reluctant to entered in to the computer age. It just happen. Every job position i've held for the past 25 somehow always ended up involving a computer or some form of electronics. i still lack confidence. Go figure.Todays already yesterday to the geeks (she said lovingly). But i think that's their Fuzzy Logic talkin' :D Get out there and make your mark shanenin ...Decide what you like and you'll like what you decide! Best of luck in all you do! ;) ~

I am currently a systems administrator for a mid-size law firm. I am the entire IT department :D Love my job and glad I changed my major from Criminal Justice (had plans to go to law school and that remains my backup plan).

As for my education, I started as a music major, because I earned a scholarship. Quickly, I learned that I was a small fish in a big pond and music wasn't as fun in college as it was in high school. So, I changed my major to Criminal Justice and stuck with that for two years. Then, I met my future wife and she could tell I wasn't happy with my Criminal Justice track and supported me in switching my major, again, to Computer Technology (Associate degree track). I finished my AS in CT and attempted to make it in the real world. I landed a full-time web administrator position with a local start-up, but soon realized (about a month into the job) that the business and my career were headed down the tubes. I then enrolled in the Management Information Systems program to earn my bachelor's degree. None of my CT credits transferred, even though I earned that degree at the same university. Three years later I graduated with a BBA in MIS.

Currently, I am working full-time and pursuing my master's degree in Information Systems at night. Keeps me busy, but I'm a believer that "there ain't no livin' like quadrant II livin'" :D

More than you ever needed to know about me, but it may help you decide how you want to approach your higher education. Since taking my winding road through college, I have always recommended people go in undecided, take some generally required classes as well as some classes you "think" you are interested in, and make a decision on a major some time around your Sophomore-Junior year.

Blim: Bearskin, good for you!! Getting that GED after so many years out of school is a great accomplishment, and what a terrific example you set for others!

Dang man! I did the same thing. Dropped out in the 11th grade and took that GED about 5 years ago without studying a word. Passed in the 98th percentile.

You guys aren't going to like me after this one.

I will have my bachelor's in Information Security in 4 months, along with a AS in Computer Networking, with CCNA, Security+, A+, NET+, and working on my CCNP, and hopefully soon on the Cisco Security certification.

I have been working in the field for almost 3 years with a consistent 40hour job now for 8 months. Just got promoted to CIO/ISA (Cheif Information Officer/Information Security Agent) and I am #2 in my class in college and finished 7th in my Highschool class of 251 students. (this is just for some bragging rights, only because I had major psycological events in my earlier years) I am currently 23 years of age, own my home, have 2 cars (not including hers), fiance, incredible supportive friends, and no worries (other than some work) in the near future.

**Edit**To all of you who went back and made a difference in your life...CONGRATULATIONS...it isn't the easiest thing by far, and for everyone who wakes up every morning to a new day with a smile on your face because of the successes that you have had in your life, don't ever sell your self short of perfection. I leave this quote for thought...for your personal representation, but please think mindfully, everyone, i mean everyone, has their own perfections!

Perfection: Only blamed, Never Believed

To all of you who went back and made a difference in your life...CONGRATULATIONS...it isn't the easiest thing by far, and for everyone who wakes up every morning to a new day with a smile on your face because of the successes that you have had in your life, don't ever sell your self short of perfection. I leave this quote for thought...for your personal representation, but please think mindfully, everyone, i mean everyone, has their own perfections!

Well this HS dropout has her home AND 40 acres paid for. Two cars and a 1956 Allis Chalmbers D-14 free and clear. I love my job, my husband, my critters, my life, and all I've accomplished.

I will encourage everyone to follow their stars... be it education or plain old hard work in a trade that makes you happy.

I've got a BA in Psychology and am currently employed as a grade 4/5 teacher in an elementary school. I have no formal computer training. In my spare time at school (mostly after school) I function as un-paid tech support in my school helping staff and students; I enjoy helping kids to learn about computers. My school is a weird mixture of old macs, some OS X units, and a lot of old wintel boxes (we've got about 100 computers in my school). I'm curious about computers, it keeps me sane in the work place:-)

Bozodog, good for you, too, for getting that degree!!! Another great accomplishment!

Vile, it doesn't surprise me, and I still like you! :D Your writing shows you are very smart and a go-getter. Glad to see a "success story" with taking computer programs in College! I'm emailing your post to my nephew, to maybe encourage him to going back to school (just not at Murray State!!) Even though he loves his job, he is soooo good with idiot boxes and could do better (still mad at him moving to Tennessee, he was my geek!)

Joe!!! Art History!! Didn't think there was anyone else out there! Heh, heh, ever "use" your degree? I got mine by accident, I took the courses as electives because I loved them. If you ever get a chance to go to Florence or Rome, do it!! It's so neat to see the Masters in person. Betcha you understand the saying, "if it ain't Baroque...." ;)

All these "self taught computer geeks" amaze me......another great accomplishment!!

Liz

Self taught??

I prefer the term self reliant.

I can do many things but it came/comes from a unwillingness to pay someone to do something I think I can do myself.

Make no mistake I am far from being a "computer geek",I simply want a basic understanding of how things work,I am still learning :blink:

OJT is not a bad teacher. :thumbsup:

I can do many things but it came/comes from a unwillingness to pay someone to do something I think I can do myself.

:D

I am the same way. I am going to tackle reroofing my house this fall, and it is a steep one.

:D

I am the same way. I am going to tackle reroofing my house this fall, and it is a steep one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What type of roof??

Asphalt,tile,wood Shingle??

Do you know the pitch??

Does any rental place near you have these for rent??

I think it is a 12/12 pitch maybe steeper. As you can see in the picture it is asfault type shingles. I only have to do the top(steepest) part of the house, the rest has been done on a seperate occasion. The gargage also need to be done, that will be my practice roof. My plan is to wait untill it cools down and do it in september or october, it is also pretty dry then.

house.jpg

How long did it take to get your CCNA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took the 2 test's (hardware/software) and passed on the 1st try. I was in College for just the 1st year and took it before beginning my second year and earned it. I have to renew it here next year...ever 5 years...same with the others...it was all about the subnets and how to break down the IP addresses...you kinda have to find your own pattern and run with it. The hardware part was easy...just about network connections, and troubleshooting devices...

Thanks Blim...I have to thank everyone i meet for the encouragement they have given me and you guys on the forum as well. Sometimes it gets hard but we all the saying...

The going gets tough...We stomp a mud hole in it and Walk it dry...LOL... :thumbsup: