Win7 with IE10 - some sites (Twitter, Google forums) do not load completely

I'm stumped.

Say I go to Twitter, the Twitter feed loads the first group, then it will not load any further. The spinner wait symbol just keeps spinning, I can't click on a Tweet to open it (to reply, for example). The left column only loads my information and the Twitter contacts box, the rest of that column never loads.

Say I go to the Google forums, I can get to the YouTube Help forums, the page loads the list of posts, but if I open a particular thread, only the headers load and a small box that says "Loading" just sits there. No question, no text, it just sits there, a blank page (except for the headers).

Third example: Go to my online email, which works, but usually it automatically signs me into the messenger program. That does not happen, it never does.

Something is stopping the "rest" of pages from loading.

I had Java disabled in the browser ever since that was an issue and those sites worked while it was disabled in the past. I tried enabling it just in case, no change. I tried ensuring I had the latest Java update (oddly, I did not, they must have JUST released one), updated, tried it both enabled and disabled in the browser (I'm leaving it disabled as it makes no difference) - no difference either way.

My Internet settings are set to defaults - no custom options.

I tried IE/No add-ons, no difference.

I use MSSE, running it regularly but I updated it again anyway, ran a full scan, nothing showed up, no difference with the browser.

I tried Chrome and everything works fine (but I'm unfamiliar with Chrome so it's a pain to use), so ... it's IE.

But what?

------

Jeez ... What is blocking content from being loaded? Why ... I kept looking for a solution, decided to reinstall IE. The MS website had a "Fix-it" Wizard. Couldn't run it in a user account (which I always use) so I signed in as admin, ran the Wizard and ... It disabled Data Execution Protection! What?!? First, I've never had an issue with that before, so WHAT CHANGED? Second, I DON"T WANT to disable DEP. It's ... data execution protection for Pete's sake.

OK, it seemed to work. While signed in as an admin, IE worked as expected. I signed into a user account and ... IE was not fixed. OK, so you have to disable DEP for each user account? Fine, can't use the Wizard because it requires an admin account, so manual it is.

I find the option in Control Panel, the only options are to enable DEP for Windows programs, or all programs (it was enabled for all, always has been). Option "A" seems like it would still be an issue with IE and option "B" is already selected so ... You can add an exception, a single program that will not be protected by DEP.

I navigate the file selector to IE 10 and ... You can't select a 64 bit program!

Gack. I'm stuck again.

Edited by JDoors

Any chance java was blocked , disabled, or uninstalled when they had the big scare that it was insecure?

I know folks who experienced similar in firefox when something there blocked java or when they uninstalled it entirely.

Go to the test java page and see if it is installed and working

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Install the latest version if it is not already installed.

I did the Java thing. Updated, tested, running. Tried it both enabled and disabled in the browser, no difference.

Since the MS IE website "Fix It Now" solution worked in admin mode but not signed in as a user account, thought I'd sign back in as an admin to see what changes the fix-it tool made. Can't find a damned thing different.

Couldn't figure out a way to use the Fix-it-now tool in a user account.

Unrelated (or so I thought), in Control Panel/Action Center I had a notice that Skype reported issues with IE so I should update to the latest version (which I only JUST installed Skype anyway so ... I guess I just happened to get the last version).

Google Groups works now, but Twitter does not.

Google Groups threads will load (and faster than usual too ... hmm), but Twitter will not load anything beyond the first items that display on the page.

At least I don't hate Chrome quite as much as I used to because I am forced to use it every day. It still does stupid stuff that IE has done better for years, but I'm learning workarounds (and it does have a few things I actually like - though nothing Earth-shattering).

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't figure out a way to use the Fix-it-now tool in a user account.

Unrelated (or so I thought), in Control Panel/Action Center I had a notice that Skype reported issues with IE so I should update to the latest version (which I only JUST installed Skype anyway so ... I guess I just happened to get the last version).

Google Groups works now, but Twitter does not.

Google Groups threads will load (and faster than usual too ... hmm), but Twitter will not load anything beyond the first items that display on the page.

At least I don't hate Chrome quite as much as I used to because I am forced to use it every day. It still does stupid stuff that IE has done better for years, but I'm learning workarounds (and it does have a few things I actually like - though nothing Earth-shattering).

My IE also shows a problem with Skype. It is up to date. Must be a quirk in IE or Skype that they don't like one another. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have a possible explanation.

It seems the Microsoft integrated Flash into IE10 for windows 7 , 8, and RT

To protect from security holes they decided to use a white list and only sites which they approved would be allowed to have active content in the browser or desktop player.

Gee, smooth move ex lax

Turns out that so few sites submitted themselves to Microsoft for approval and adding to the white list that hey have issued an update to change it to a black list where all sites will be allowed and they will have a black list of sites which antivirus and malware experts have determined to be infected that will not be allowed to utilize flash and active content.

Sounds plausible.

Don't know how that would affect running Windows in Admin. mode and the "fix" of disabling DEP actually worked ... that would take too much thinking to understand how a site not listed as ok to run flash would begin working with DEP disabled.

My brain! :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Blech!

Doin' it all over again. Tried all those things again, for whatever reason Twitter works now (can't tell what fixed it).

Google Groups displays, but it won't let me sign in (the page just refreshes). I can sign into my Google Account, go to Google Groups and I should be signed in, but I'm not, the Sign In button is still there. Click Sign In, page refreshes without indicating I'm signed in ("Sign In" button is still there). Go back to Google and I'm signed in fine.

I can find the "old" Google Groups (read only) and I'm signed in! Dammit. Some control is disabled and I can't figure it out. :(

And, again, it's an issue with IE, but Chrome works fine.

------

Still can't use old links to access the Google Groups pages, it won't let me sign in (page just refreshes), but I was reading some older posts and wanted to re-read one of my own, clicked the link in the old post, and it brought me to a Google Groups page where I WAS signed in. I back-tracked to the Google Groups entry page and I was still signed in so ... use that link, right?

Sort of. My browser home page is about:blank, which can be set to display tiles of frequently visited pages. That link works. If I save the link anywhere else, the page does not load properly.

Man. What a mess.

Edited by JDoors
  • 5 months later...

Hello

I have the identical issue.

I've tried the same things you mention above to no avail.

Did you ever manage to solve this?

I'm not a fan of the Chrome browser, but at this point I have no choice, IE is basically "broken".

Affected IE9, upgraded to IE10, still the same. Chrome however works perfectly.

e.g.

Request page in IE - hangs somewhere while loading.

Giving you enough time to open up Chrome, copy and paste the URL from IE into Chrome to see the page snap back immediately in Chrome while IE carries on thinking about it and then often just gives up.

Noting the comment about uninstalling Java above - my machine was impacted by the Java exploit, I rebuilt it in full, have not reinstalled Java since, it's a dangerous piece of kit.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by dtmark

Let's see ... For Google Groups, once it was working, it worked ... "wrong." The site looked different and everything I was used to doing was more difficult (more steps). A change in the Groups setting corrected that (though I never made the change away from that in the first place).

Twitter was also not allowing me to post at all, UNLESS I included an image. So I made an image that said Twitter won't let me post unless I include an image and used it that way until ... it fixed itself too.      :(

I have been working on several Windows 7 PCs that the people installed IE10 on. They were very happy when I removed it and rolled back to IE9. By the way Oracle is sneaking a bunch of crap in with it's newest Java updates. You need to uninstall several programs and reset IE to default.

I have been working on several Windows 7 PCs that the people installed IE10 on. They were very happy when I removed it and rolled back to IE9. By the way Oracle is sneaking a bunch of crap in with it's newest Java updates. You need to uninstall several programs and reset IE to default.

Why? What didn't they like about it. This is the first MB that I have seen anybody say that they have done this.

I agree with TT. I had a user who got IE 10 installed some how with out her knowledge, it cam from an update from MS & it turned all her files into garbage that i could not read so we switched back to 9 & that cured her problem !!

Chuck

Well, I don't know how long it's been out, but when I upgraded to it I didn't notice any significant changes and, at the time, no performance or broken website issues whatsoever. Whatever the time was between its release and my first post regarding the issue (which went away all by itself - which I think means it was website coding, not the browser), it was fine.