USB Floppy Drive Reboots Computer

I'm working on rebuilding a machine for a friend's business and they need the floppy drive to work as it is still used in some of their industry machines. Well the floppy drive in the machine doesn't work and in trying to see if a USB floppy drive would be an optional solution for them, I borrowed my brother's USB Floppy drive. I can get it to load the driver's fine on my newer Win7 laptop, but not on the computer I've been rebuilding. It's an old HP Pavilion 700 running Windows XP (fresh install with SP3). When I plug the USB Floppy Drive into the machine, it starts loading the drivers, then reboots the computer and continues in that cycle until I unplug it.

I have tried booting in safe mode with the same problem, disabling the AV, used a different USB port (all ports in good working order). The Floppy Drive I'm testing with is an HP EA763AA.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm working on rebuilding a machine for a friend's business and they need the floppy drive to work as it is still used in some of their industry machines. Well the floppy drive in the machine doesn't work and in trying to see if a USB floppy drive would be an optional solution for them, I borrowed my brother's USB Floppy drive. I can get it to load the driver's fine on my newer Win7 laptop, but not on the computer I've been rebuilding. It's an old HP Pavilion 700 running Windows XP (fresh install with SP3). When I plug the USB Floppy Drive into the machine, it starts loading the drivers, then reboots the computer and continues in that cycle until I unplug it.

I have tried booting in safe mode with the same problem, disabling the AV, used a different USB port (all ports in good working order). The Floppy Drive I'm testing with is an HP EA763AA.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Does the floppy drive access light stay on? If so then probably the positive an negative to the USB port are reversed.

If that does not solve it, just get a cheap regular floppy and install it.

You could disable automatic reboot on system failure, it may or may not reference a suspect .dll that is causing the issue. Since this is a clean install and you are immediately having issues, it is possible that you may have a failing hard drive or even ram(not likely). Those things are easy to test and rule out. You could also try using a pci usb card and see if that makes a difference.

edit added later//

not sure how different operating systems deal with drivers, but maybe that usb floppy is partially defective and does not play well with xp anymore(windows 7 plays well with it). it would be good to at least test it in a different xp sp3 machine(if available)

I remember having a client machine with a very similar issue. after an xp system reload we did for a different reason, every time he would plug in his flatbed scanner(I think also his printer, I do not remember if flash drives did it) the computer would start to load the driver then crash. We ended up reloading a second time and it fixed the issue. I am not sure what the difference was between the first and second reload, but something. Maybe it was different chipset drivers? You may want to look at trying a second reload.