Sponsored By

Sign in to follow this  
pez719

What's the best Linux distro for a beginner?

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about trying out Linux and I was wondering what's the best distro to start with? Obviously, I'm still a newbie/beginner and I just want to test the waters. Any information you can provide would be great!

Also, I'm thinking about installing the Linux distro in a virtual machine for starters. Is that a good idea?

I'd recommend checking out this article we published earlier this year -- it's still relevant today.

http://www.besttechie.com/2012/02/22/top-5-linux-distributions-beginners/

And yes, a virtual machine is a great way to get started with Linux as you don't have to worry about configuring Grub or the Windows boot loader.

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about trying out Linux and I was wondering what's the best distro to start with? Obviously, I'm still a newbie/beginner and I just want to test the waters. Any information you can provide would be great!

Also, I'm thinking about installing the Linux distro in a virtual machine for starters. Is that a good idea?

Greetings,

I've been running Linux for a little over 10 years. There are several very good versions of Linux out there that are perfect for someone just starting out in Linux. I would recommend Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. Both of these distros are easy and intuitive to use. They will allow you to test your hardware and check to see if Linux will run on your PC (live CDS). Also they will guide you through setting up a dual boot system (Windows/Linux) if you want to keep your Windows stuff.