Geeks in the Kitchen

Stumbled upon this lonely forum

http://apps.exploratorium.edu/cgi-bin/yabb2-cooking/YaBB.pl

Looks to be much along the idea of a "geeks in the kitchen" idea someone her had some time ago.

Unfortunately the register button does not work.

If I figure out how to join I think I will, but I suspect that explains the lack of recent posts.

Board is not maintained and has died.

Ah it is a paid membership thing. Too bad.

Members: 0

Reading the forums, members are labeled: Ex Members.

Yeah, I was so excited to find it that it took a while to realize it was a dead forum.

Too bad. I would have enjoyed it.

I just finished making a pot of gumbo.

One leek (leftover from making potato leek soup) diced and cleaned.

Equal amount diced celery ( about four stalks I think)

Two medium bell peppers

One head of garlic peeled and chopped.

Half pound andouille (smoked sausage) diced

Saute with a little oil

Add 24 oz frozen sliced okra

one 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

24 ounces shrimp

three bay leaves

Thyme

worcestershire sauce

two dry chipotle , shoulders and seeds removed chopped in with scissors

chicken bouillon for salt

fresh cracked pepper.

Served with extra long grain basmati rice.

A lot has happened in the last year for me, little to none of it good, I currently have no kitchen, just one of those tiny fridges and a microwave, no utinsels, pots or pans (paper plates and plastic cutlery). I've eaten out more in the last year than, probably, the rest of my life combined. I can still come up with some inventive stuff with nothin' but the microwave (eg, fish tacos, chicken burritos), but food prep and storage is an issue so ... I usually choose to dine out instead, but even that's an issue 'cause I'm now in a small relatively rural town with fewer restaurant/fast food options. For someone who's into eating, it's been a nightmare. : (

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a bummer.

Yeah this year has been tough (Still shopping for a good deal on a new roof after the June hailstorem. It was like being in an artillery barrage for a half hour. My truck looked like someone had thrown baseballs at it for a half hour then taken the bat at it to finish the job. I had several large holes punched clear through the roofing and the shingles are all basically worn out now.. The wifes stepfather died in a tractor roll over accident on the farm.......)

Life goes on (hopefully) and hopefully next year will be better than this one.

Caught Turkey breast on for 99 cents a pound so roasing a breast, making stuffing and rice (with shiitake mushrooms and shallots almost a risotto).

Thought the two of us would be eating on it all week, but the wife already called the kids and told them to come buy and pick some up to take home. My bet is it will all be gone by dark.

Whoa, sorry about the bad news.

One good thing about dining out more, since I always cooked at home I didn't even know what most joints served; Potbelly? Panera? Never been in 'em before. Potbelly makes a good sammich, Panera didn't impress me.

It's been so long since I've been in "the classics" I'm pleasantly surprised by their new stuff. Frankly, I'm surprised at how good some fast food joints have gotten over the years that I stopped going to them.

Wendy's has a burger worth going to Wendys for, it's as good as the original. No more flat, dry tough puck hiding in the bun, they're back to big, juicy, poking out from the bun on all sides goodness. Not gourmet, but not embarrasing any more either.

Arby's has "Market Fresh" sandwiches that are ALMOST EXACTLY how I would make 'em, hearty bread, lots of sliced deli meat, excellent toppings/sauces. And they have REAL beef sliced from REAL beef roasts now (they still have the processed stuff I never really cared for).

Sub-way's even worth a trip now. I had given up on them a long time ago. But hey, no more "slap a pre-processed slab o' meat" on the bread and call it a day, they actually take the time to curl the (still pre-processed) meat on the bread, like I'd do at home. And danged if they ain't got some fancy sauces now (balsamic vinegrette, for example).

I've tried other places I just never got around to trying, Popeye's, for example. Pretty damned good catfish! I was surprised. Everything else is "fine," but the catfish is almost as good as it gets (OK, I've had better at places in the boondocks that specialize in catfish and frog legs, but I'm not livin' in a swamp just to get slightly bettter catfish!) :)

Edited by JDoors
  • 3 weeks later...

First real cold front of the season coming tonight and tomorrow.

So preparing by making a good hearty soup today.

Meatball and tortellini soup.

Ground beef and pork

Spices, herbs, egg, cracker meal, unflavored gelatin...

Take a small sample and microwave it to test seasoning and flavor and adjust.

Brown the meatballs in ceramic non stick skillet and then into the oven to finish cooking.

Dump the finished meatballs into beef stock with diced onions, diced garlic, dice mushrooms, chopped tomatoes , herbs (cilantro, parsley) unflovored gelatin etc.

Taste and adjust

Cook some dry spinach and cheese and tomato and cheese tortellini in salted water . Drain when done.

Plate a serving or tortellini in a soup bowl, spoon in some meatballs and ladle the soup over it all.

Top with a bit of grated parm or asiago cheese.

First real cold front of the season coming tonight and tomorrow.

So preparing by making a good hearty soup today.

Meatball and tortellini soup.

Ground beef and pork

Spices, herbs, egg, cracker meal, unflavored gelatin...

Take a small sample and microwave it to test seasoning and flavor and adjust.

Brown the meatballs in ceramic non stick skillet and then into the oven to finish cooking.

Dump the finished meatballs into beef stock with diced onions, diced garlic, dice mushrooms, chopped tomatoes , herbs (cilantro, parsley) unflovored gelatin etc.

Taste and adjust

Cook some dry spinach and cheese and tomato and cheese tortellini in salted water . Drain when done.

Plate a serving or tortellini in a soup bowl, spoon in some meatballs and ladle the soup over it all.

Top with a bit of grated parm or asiago cheese.

Sounds GREAT Pete! What time is dinner? I'll bring the Chianti.