We did an interesting job on an intel 20" imac today. We suspected it had a bad hard drive(verified it with spinrite). It was a pretty easy job removing the hard drive. it was a bit tedious, but not to complicated. Great documentation at ifixit.com. I used my old Gentoo live linux cd to copy the data off the failing drive(has built in read only support for hfs+) . Installed the new drive, installed the OS, then copied the data back to it. If we could do 4 of these jobs per month i would be happy :-)

this was the model

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-20-inch-aluminum-specs.html

this was the guide at ifixit.com. they seem to have complete teardown guides of every mac/ipad/ihpone made

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_20%22_EMC_2133_and_2210

it is the only place I go when I do any apple repair

it seems magically sealed. but the key to getting into it is to pull the front glass off with suction cups. it is just held on by magnets :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a email in regards to that job this evening. I was told that none of the kid's ipod touches with be recognized in iTunes. Hmm, not sure why. They were running iTunes 7. I am not sure why it is not updating by itself. I manually(remotely) installed itunes 9.2.1, the highest version supported by OS 10.4.11. That seemed to fix the issue :-) I am still a bit worried about the updating issue(lack of).

• 5 weeks later...

We got another mac 13.3 inch laptop in a few days ago. The authorized apple repair shop in our town told our client it was not worth fixing. He brought it to us for a second opinion. We installed a new lcd back lite inverter, harddrive and the thing runs like brand new. The client gave a us a big smile and a thank you along with $350 (that price also included data recovery from the bad drive). It was a great paying job for us and the client did not have to buy a new Mac. Everyone was happy!