Saying goodbye to XP

I scored a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate retail for doing a repair job. I ran the advisor on my trusty old home built desktop and both of my Thinkpad T42s. None were ideal candidates, but the 15" Thinkpad with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, SXGA+ screen, Atheros wifi card and 1.5GB of RAM was the better choice.

I slapped in a spare 100GB PATA drive, formatted it NTFS with my XP cd and installed Win 7 yesterday afternoon. I grabbed all updates from MS including SP1, installed MSE, SpywareBlaster, MBAM and other favorite programs. I also installed the System Updater from Lenovo for Win7. The best drivers for my graphics (even though AERO wasn't supposed to work it does quite well), sound and wifi came from MS Updates.

This laptop is flying compared to when it had XP installed. It will be hard using my old XP systems now and I can't wait for Windows 8. :thumbsup:

Nice. I think you were very wise to pass on Vista. I run that at work and it is a dog. I still have one PC that has an XP Pro partition on it. I keep it around for itunes and for some legacy M$ games that my 8 year old likes to play.

Nice. I think you were very wise to pass on Vista. I run that at work and it is a dog. I still have one PC that has an XP Pro partition on it. I keep it around for itunes and for some legacy M$ games that my 8 year old likes to play.

If I bump the RAM up to 2GB I will be able to use XP Mode to allow me to run older programs. I also created three partitions. One is 15GB for either dual booting XP or some flavor of Linux.

If I bump the RAM up to 2GB I will be able to use XP Mode to allow me to run older programs. I also created three partitions. One is 15GB for either dual booting XP or some flavor of Linux.

Good to know it runs nice and fast; I will run that in 2014 when M$ stops supporting XP. :-)

I saw both Compusa (TigerDirect, Circuit City) and Microcenter locally have machines running win 7 available for $199. Sure they are not the best processor, but I may go ahead and get one (would be nice if I could find one that is compatible with the spare Pentium E6500 I have.

• 3 weeks later...

we built 4 new work stations for our computer repair business when we moved to our new location. We went with 2 xp pro machines, one windows 7 business and one windows 7 ultimate. I still use tend to use the xp machines myself. We have a special need to have xp machines(or at least a virtual system) in case we need to help customers trouble shoot xp issues. With that point aside, XP does everything we need it to do.