Me & My Computer

6 members have voted

1. 1. When I'm not using my computer:

• -- I leave it on. (Any particular reason why?)
    • -- I shut it down. (Any particular reason why?)
    • -- I put it on hibernate/standby mode. (Any particular reason why?)
    • -- I put it on sleep mode. (Any particular reason why?)
  2. 2. What is the first thing you do when your computer's performance starts to deteriorate?

• -- Run an antivirus application (Why?)
    • -- Run antispyware/adware applications (Why?)
    • -- Run a disk defragmenter utility (Why?)
    • -- Run a disk clean up utility (Why?)
    • -- Remove any unnecessary programs (Why?)
    • -- Run a registry cleaner (Why?)
    • -- Download and install the latest OS and driver updates (Why?)
    • -- Call for help (Who do you call?)
    • -- Other (What it is?)
  3. 3. What Do You Use Your Computer For?

• Email
    • Surfing the internet
    • Mostly business
    • For Blogging
    • My Internet Sites
    • Other [specify]

Here is a wee poll to pass the time away and discuss. You have more than one choice in the last 2 questions and only one choice in the first question. Have fun!!

After sitting next to my desktop when the power supply's capacitors blew the PC gets shutdown when I am done using it. My printer was scorched and the paper in it caught fire from the sparks and flames out of the PSU.

When my PCs start slowing down it's time to run Disk Cleanup and defrag the drives. My computers don't normally get slow due to my cleaning the cache at the end of every day and defragging every 6 months as a habit. I haven't had any malware issues on my PCs since the 90s.

The performance on my computers does not start to degrade over time because I don't run Windows a lot. I do have one XP Pro partition for itunes and for my daughter's MS games. I primarily run Linux.

Never had one blow , because I always turn em off when not in use; but have heard of to many cases where an unattended computer was the source of a major fire to want to take the risk. If I am present, the extinguisher is just by the door along with a kill switch for the outlets the UPS. Not present and who knows what could happen.

Never really had an issue with a computer slowing down. I guess I just take care of them and do routine and preventative maintenance.

Anyone else surf multi tab and have multiple windows (applications) open and use F11 to go full screen once you select a tab and then again when you are ready to go to another?

-> When I'm not using my computer: <-

Hi Peaches, I shut down because using laptop's in my recliner chair doesn't get any better, nonsense to sit at a desk.

-> What is the first thing you do when your computer's performance starts to deteriorate? <-

Doesn't happen to me but for friends defrag, then using Disk Cleaner (1.5.7 free) dumps temporary/system files and whatever else I care to clean with a simple click.

The purple funnel icon for identification.

Most likely a scan with MBAM (quick scan is sufficient), seldom does a virus shows up with their anti virus program.

Run a spyware scan, then install Ghostery, Btw this site has 4 tracking cookies that are blocked from knowing I'm here.

TMN (Track Me Not) absolutely amazing how many are blocked. Both are free.

-> What Do You Use Your Computer For? <-

Mail and searching the power of the internet still continues to amaze me how far we have progressed.

What's a library card haha

Stunning how far have we have come, in 1966 a simple calculator was only a future dream maybe $600-900 but way too heavy to carry class to class.

Dependent on the slide rule, Pete used the slang word slip stick, darn thing couldn't add or subtract, electronics design/repair is heavy very into math, so many hours to learn.

Hi Pete

Marsh