One hard drive is an ATA/IDE from an old Thinkpad P4 laptop, the other is from an HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx it was really sad to see this last one fail :( it had a problem with the screen after a year which was past its warranty, and although the computer seems to power on just fine, it´s impossible to see or distinguish anything at all within those random color waves.

One hard drive is an ATA/IDE from an old Thinkpad P4 laptop, the other is from an HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx it was really sad to see this last one fail :( it had a problem with the screen after a year which was past its warranty, and although the computer seems to power on just fine, it´s impossible to see or distinguish anything at all within those random color waves.

Connect the laptop to your TV. Then get a Thumb/Flash drive and download the pictures to it. Should be good to go then.

Edited by MrBill

If it were just one drive , I would go with an enclosure; but with more than one and just temp need I would just go with USB adapters. If you have different kinds of drives go with a dual adapater like this one available at your local walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sabrent-USB-2.0-to-IDE-SATA-Hard-Drive-Converter/15819320?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15819320

Connect any 2.5" or 3.5" IDE/PATA or Serial ATA/SATA hard drive externally to your computer through an available USB 2.0 port with the USB-DSC5 Hard Drive Converter from Sabrent.

Cheaper online option

http://www.alwayslowest.com/AL/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.dspSpecs∂=25939199

Supported drive interface: IDE Ultra ATA, Serial ATA

Support drive type: 2.5" hard drives, 3.5" hard drives, 5.25" optical drives

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone :)

1 last rookie question, is the IDE/PATA connector of a laptop hard drive the same as the IDE/PATA connector of a desktop hard drive?

No, 2.5"drives for laptops get power and transfer data over a single connector. 3.5" drives for PCs have a seperate connector for power.

I did remember to check those links for 2.5" vs 3.5" didn't I?

It´s good, the quote for the walmart link says it will connect to both, I was just wondering if they were the same or not, that´s all.

I´m purchasing the one from wallmart as it will help me extract files from a laptop hard drive or a desktop hard drive and I think that´s a tool that comes in handy when you least expect it. :)

Edited by intocomputing2