Mac Scareware Pushers Begin Targeting Facebook Users

Mac Scareware Pushers Begin Targeting Facebook Users

Scareware pushers have started using Facebook to spam out links that lead users to pages distributing fake Mac OS X antivirus software.

The scammers hope to exploit people's interest into the recent news that IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn faces rape charges in New York.

Rogue messages posted from compromised accounts claim to distribute a link to a video showing Mr. Strauss-Kahn sexually assaulting a hotel maid.

"[...] When I visited the page on my Apple Mac I was rapidly redirected to a 'Mac Defender'-style fake anti-virus attack, written specifically with the intention of infecting my computer," warns Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.

The company's free antivirus product for Mac detects and blocks the threat as OSX/FakeAVZp-C using heuristic signatures. Similar spam messages are being used by scammers to lure Facebook users every single day and past experiences tell us that they are quite successful. Mac users have recently been hit hard by scareware attacks which caught them off-guard due to years of indoctrination that Macs are virus-free.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mac-Scareware-Pushers-Begin-Targeting-Facebook-Users-203488.shtml

Apple put out a update yesterday that will block this and remove it if you do have it.

If ever you click a link and a popup says you are infected click here to remove it "Don't do it".