OK here is the problem.

'99 'Paq Presario 5700T

400mHz processor

64mb Ram

12.5 GB HDD

LG 16X DVD ROM

Tried to install '98. Installed fine no mouse driver, no graphics color(only 16).

Wiping HDD to go with the copy of ME I have.

How can I remove the\some scratches from the 2 Recovery CDs. No DiskDR, or anything like that.

There are a few zip files on the Recovery CDs that do not copy. Tried to copy to MY HDD to then burn to new cd. Narrowed problem to about 6 zip files accross both CDs. Machine will not install OS. When these files come to copy sys hangs. Even tried to unzip these files on my HDD...ERROR!

If I rambled ask and I'll try to clear it up.

M

hi mike i remember roger chang demonstarting tooth paste to to clear up cd scratches.i cant vouch for it my self.

but i was on a thread where some one said it was successful for them.

but i cant guarentee this method.it seems you need tooth paste and a soft chamios

cloth and rub to the outer of the disk.

ive tried to find the article in the screen savers archives.but it may have gone by now

marty

Allsop makes a scratch repair solution..i got some as a"bonus" with some jewel cases i bought at costco..i've never tried it..as i'm as anal with my disks as i was with my old lp's..but my neighbor borrowed it and said it worked great..not sure where you'd buy it..maybe bestbuy..walmart..??

wayne :blink:

Using colgate whitening formula and a dremel. YEAH Power Tools.

Using the clothe buffing pad and toothpaste. I have the cd copied execpt a few files that give a MS Dos error.

My previous post~~

Folders and file problems

M

~~~Edit~~~

Error

Cannot copy FACTORY: Invalid MS-DOS function.

File name is FACTORY.003

File type is .003 File

Having problems with .003 - .009

Error occurs at end of copy process.

Copying from cd to my hdd to burn to new cd.

M

Label side appears in good condition.

I had the pleasure of scratching the label on a cd of someone. OOOPPPSSS was that you backup I'm sorry...(laced heavily with sarcasim) I said you should dbl check the data on the cd before you format the drive.

:D:lol::D

:angry: UPDATE: :angry:

Found that machine has been down for two weeks. At around 7pm owner hinted that they wanted machine for am on 18th. Still can't get recovery CD to work. My copy of 98 will not load display drivers. Installed 98, shut it down.

No A/V

No Burning Software

No Internet pre-setup

No Updates

No dust bunnie removal

12+ GB HDD with Win 98.

I want to say thanks for the help and laughs. This will be a lesson to the owner(s) in proper cd care.

Again thanks all.

'Till tommorrow....later today.

M