I am having big problems trying to set up remote desktop on my Mac. I have VNC set up at work on my PC and I have VNC and Remote Desktop on my Mac. I think I have gotten everything set up ok but when I try to log in to my PC it tells me "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively." So is this a problem on my end or the PC end? Also, I can't get into the login without having VNC connected. I was told that wasn't necessary but it won't work without it.

I am having big problems trying to set up remote desktop on my Mac. I have VNC set up at work on my PC and I have VNC and Remote Desktop on my Mac. I think I have gotten everything set up ok but when I try to log in to my PC it tells me "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively." So is this a problem on my end or the PC end? Also, I can't get into the login without having VNC connected. I was told that wasn't necessary but it won't work without it.

Good Evening Texann:

I am asssuming that you have VNC server running on your work PC, and setup properly, but you have to make sure that you have set the ports for the access to the server (Usually 5900 or 5901) and that you have to make sure that you open those ports on your router. For example, you have to open port 5900 on your router at home, and open port 5900 at work too. (If you want to go Both ways, you have to configure the work IP so that it can connect to your home PC - that way, you can access your home desktop as well. On BBUS, I simply assign an IP, open the ports I want and forward them to the main IP for my machines. This way, I can serve stuff off the web.

To do this, go into your router, and find something that says "forwarding" in advanced: You will mostlikely see something that says "Local IP" "Start Port" "End Port" "Protocol" "Enable" (checkbox)

So if your ip was something like 192.168.0.15, and you wanted to open port 5900, you would enter the local IP address (In my case, I have a motorola surfboard) so i'd enter .15 at the end, because the local IP has the 192.168.0. already there. I'd enter 15 for the LOCAL IP of the mac machine, then where it asks for the start port, put 5900, for the end port, put 5900. For the Protocol, choose "BOTH" Then, click a box that says "enable", and click APPLY

Then, on your work machine, Open VNC Server (I use Tight VNC) and under "Server Tab" Check the box that says "accept incoming connections" and adjust the server port number to the one that allows you to connect to the work PC (Port 5900) - You can change this if you wish, just make sure you open the proper ports in both routers if you do. Check the box for "require VNC authentication" Then set a Primary Pasword, which will be the one that will get you into the VNC server, which you will run on your work machine. If you want to enable WEB access, check this box, and set the port to something other then 5900 or 5901 - Id set it to like 6001 - This allows you to use a Java viewer to access the work machine. You would be able to then open a wen browser, and enter http://200.100.10.100:6001 and hit Enter. After a few minutes, you should get a box asking for your password. Enter it, and you will be able to access your desktop in a web browser window.

Now, go to Administration Tab: Click the box that says "protect control operations with an administrative password" When you do this, you have a Password: area that will light up so you can "set" the password. Set one at the office and then click apply. Start VNC server at work, leaving your work machine on.

So lets just say that your address at work was 200.100.10.100. and you opened port 5900 at work (5900 is the default VNC port for the first desktop) - Fire up a VNC viewer, and you will see this: (I entered the 200.100.10.100 in the box for this example)

Capture.PNG

When it connects it will look like this (substitute buddy-baker.us for your work ip in the picture above)

Enter your password, which you use to connect to your work machine, which is running VNC Server. Click OK.

Capture2.PNG

If successful, you should see your work desktop: if I connect to Buddy-baker.us's desktop for my username, it looks like this through VNC Viewer:

Capture3.PNG

As far as Remote desktop: Note The Remote Desktop Connection Client for the Mac supports only port 3389. 3389 is the default port. I bellieve the only thing you have to do is to open port 3389 in the work router to work this, and allow only the IP's you use. I do this for my work when my boss wants to have me work on a server: I Remote in using a RDC, and then when done, he can take out the IP for my system.

Good Luck: I hope this Helps!!

Brian.

Edited by baker7

Thanks Brian...I got it to work. I appreciate your help.

Good Evening Texann:

I am asssuming that you have VNC server running on your work PC, and setup properly, but you have to make sure that you have set the ports for the access to the server (Usually 5900 or 5901) and that you have to make sure that you open those ports on your router. For example, you have to open port 5900 on your router at home, and open port 5900 at work too. (If you want to go Both ways, you have to configure the work IP so that it can connect to your home PC - that way, you can access your home desktop as well. On BBUS, I simply assign an IP, open the ports I want and forward them to the main IP for my machines. This way, I can serve stuff off the web.

To do this, go into your router, and find something that says "forwarding" in advanced: You will mostlikely see something that says "Local IP" "Start Port" "End Port" "Protocol" "Enable" (checkbox)

So if your ip was something like 192.168.0.15, and you wanted to open port 5900, you would enter the local IP address (In my case, I have a motorola surfboard) so i'd enter .15 at the end, because the local IP has the 192.168.0. already there. I'd enter 15 for the LOCAL IP of the mac machine, then where it asks for the start port, put 5900, for the end port, put 5900. For the Protocol, choose "BOTH" Then, click a box that says "enable", and click APPLY

Then, on your work machine, Open VNC Server (I use Tight VNC) and under "Server Tab" Check the box that says "accept incoming connections" and adjust the server port number to the one that allows you to connect to the work PC (Port 5900) - You can change this if you wish, just make sure you open the proper ports in both routers if you do. Check the box for "require VNC authentication" Then set a Primary Pasword, which will be the one that will get you into the VNC server, which you will run on your work machine. If you want to enable WEB access, check this box, and set the port to something other then 5900 or 5901 - Id set it to like 6001 - This allows you to use a Java viewer to access the work machine. You would be able to then open a wen browser, and enter http://200.100.10.100:6001 and hit Enter. After a few minutes, you should get a box asking for your password. Enter it, and you will be able to access your desktop in a web browser window.

Now, go to Administration Tab: Click the box that says "protect control operations with an administrative password" When you do this, you have a Password: area that will light up so you can "set" the password. Set one at the office and then click apply. Start VNC server at work, leaving your work machine on.

So lets just say that your address at work was 200.100.10.100. and you opened port 5900 at work (5900 is the default VNC port for the first desktop) - Fire up a VNC viewer, and you will see this: (I entered the 200.100.10.100 in the box for this example)

Capture.PNG

When it connects it will look like this (substitute buddy-baker.us for your work ip in the picture above)

Enter your password, which you use to connect to your work machine, which is running VNC Server. Click OK.

Capture2.PNG

If successful, you should see your work desktop: if I connect to Buddy-baker.us's desktop for my username, it looks like this through VNC Viewer:

Capture3.PNG

As far as Remote desktop: Note The Remote Desktop Connection Client for the Mac supports only port 3389. 3389 is the default port. I bellieve the only thing you have to do is to open port 3389 in the work router to work this, and allow only the IP's you use. I do this for my work when my boss wants to have me work on a server: I Remote in using a RDC, and then when done, he can take out the IP for my system.

Brian.

Texann:

I am pleased that you were able to get it to work - It is my pleasure to assist you with this :)

Brian

Thanks Brian...I got it to work. I appreciate your help.

Good Evening Texann:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Brian.