How To Maintain A Windows Computer

Warning: Silly Post:-)

A few days ago a friend of mine asked me if I'd like an old computer of his. I of course said "sure."

The computer is a P266 with 128 MB RAM and a 4 GB Quantum HD.

When I turned it on I discovered it had Windows XP Pro on it. It ran okay, albeit a bit slow. I noticed that my friend had Kazaa Lite installed on it. So I then downloaded, installed Ad Aware SE and ran a spyware check. It was loaded with spyware, over 400, with registry hacks as well.

I spent a bit of time trying to clean it up, but, new spyware would show up when I re-booted the computer.

So I fixed the problem.

I inserted my trusty install CD, re-booted the computer, ran fdisk /dev/hda, deleted the windows partition, installed Slackware 10.1, using XFce as my wm. The computer is running very well now and is not going into swap.

So that's my advice for fixing nagging problems on your Windows computer.

Install Linux :D:D

snapshot5.jpg

Actually, i have a similar problem as yours, but not the same. I want to make one of my computers a PVR (using KnoppMyth) but my dad doesn't want me messing with our Windows partition (or harddrive for that matter) so he told me to try installing it on an old computers HD (Quantum 4GB). I swapped the harddrives, then tried going through first the auto install (said some error when it was formatting then just went to bash) and then manual install (same problem). So I just re-swapped the HDs and looked for a different route. You see, some computers are just so messed up, you can't even install linux to fix them :D :D :D.

Try putting the hd back in and boot with a win 98 bootdisk. fdisk and reformat the hd. I just had to do the same on a 3.2 gig hd to install iccaros linux. Works great now.

Actually, i have a similar problem as yours, but not the same. I want to make one of my computers a PVR (using KnoppMyth) but my dad doesn't want me messing with our Windows partition (or harddrive for that matter) so he told me to try installing it on an old computers HD (Quantum 4GB). I swapped the harddrives, then tried going through first the auto install (said some error when it was formatting then just went to bash) and then manual install (same problem). So I just re-swapped the HDs and looked for a different route. You see, some computers are just so messed up, you can't even install linux to fix them :D :D :D.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck with your Linux install, murtu52 :D robroy's idea sounds good with your install problems. I've also used my slackware install cd to try to blow out stubborn partitions. A windows 98 cd will blow out most partitions, it has problems deleting ext2 partitions though.

I heartily recommend Slackware 10.1 for older PCs. You can have x windows up and running without using all of your system resources.

Note: To run x windows in slackware you need at least 64 MB of RAM.

Actually, today my father and I payed a visit to Fry's Electronics (to return something), and there seemed to be a deal going on for harddrives, so I bought one. $50 for a 200GB....My dad was kinda against it, but seeing as I'll need a large harddrive to store all those recordings, why not buy it now for a cheap price? He said if it didn't work we would just return it....I'll try the install once more today with the new harddrive, hopefully it'll work...

One thing, this computer is kinda old (P3 old), and i'm not sure if the motherboard will recognize all 200GB. Will it, and more importantly, with KnoppMyth recognize it?

EDIT: I just got through the install, and i'm out a VERY odd problem. Whenever I boot up the machine, KnoppMyth begins mounting the drives, doing all the system checks, etc., listing them all through text. However, right when its done, the monitor just shuts off. It doesn't power off, but the screen looks as if i have turned it off, and the screen just stays black, when the little light still green. However, i'm pretty sure that KnoppMyth does keep on running after this happens. Right now, my monitor is connected through my capture card, but i have also tried my AGP card (my capture card is PCI) but neither work. Its really disappointing to see that right when i get it installed, i hit another problem :(:(:(. Anyone have any idea?

Also, just to add, when KnoppMyth goes through all the system check, it did say "no multimedia cards were found" or something of the sort. That kinda scared me, and it might be related to the problem....Thanks in advance....

Actually, today my father and I payed a visit to Fry's Electronics (to return something), and there seemed to be a deal going on for harddrives, so I bought one. $50 for a 200GB....My dad was kinda against it, but seeing as I'll need a large harddrive to store all those recordings, why not buy it now for a cheap price? He said if it didn't work we would just return it....I'll try the install once more today with the new harddrive, hopefully it'll work...

One thing, this computer is kinda old (P3 old), and i'm not sure if the motherboard will recognize all 200GB. Will it, and more importantly, with KnoppMyth recognize it?

EDIT: I just got through the install, and i'm out a VERY odd problem. Whenever I boot up the machine, KnoppMyth begins mounting the drives, doing all the system checks, etc., listing them all through text. However, right when its done, the monitor just shuts off. It doesn't power off, but the screen looks as if i have turned it off, and the screen just stays black, when the little light still green. However, i'm pretty sure that KnoppMyth does keep on running after this happens. Right now, my monitor is connected through my capture card, but i have also tried my AGP card (my capture card is PCI) but neither work. Its really disappointing to see that right when i get it installed, i hit another problem  :(  :(  :(. Anyone have any idea?

Also, just to add, when KnoppMyth goes through all the system check, it did say "no multimedia cards were found" or something of the sort. That kinda scared me, and it might be related to the problem....Thanks in advance....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not an expert in Knoppmyth. I think iccaros or shanenin have run that distro. They might be able to help you. It sounds like x windows has been mis-configured, I'd try to go into your x windows settings. In slackware after you log-on as root at the command prompt you can change your x windows settings by using the command xorgconfig

Does your distro recognize your graphics card?

Good luck, man! I'd also try to go to your distro website see if they have a list of supported graphics cards.

Edited by hitest

Yeah it sounds like it isn't getting the graphics card right, Had a similar problem first time I installed SuSe. The first time it tried to set the display much higher than the monitor could handle. Had to reinstall with display set at 800 x 600

Don't know if this will help

Well, after a bunch of testing and other forum posting, I figured a few things out...:

1)My capture card, an old ATI 3d rage all in wonder, is not compatible with KnoppMyth.

2)There is something wrong with a config file.

The first one i figured out at KnoppMyth's forums, and same with the second one. I moved my HD to a different computer, and that computer had an Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 in there. Something a bit different took place, the screen wouldn't shut off, but it would say that x-server was not working properly, and it would dump me at a DOS-like bash screen. I learned from my posts at KM's forums that i needed to edit the XF86Config-4 file, to make it work with Nvidia. Now, i can't use this second computer, the one with the MX420 in it, and i can't move it to my primary computer (physical limitations with the case, I hate that they are different companies and different proprietary formats for desktop versions!!!). So, i am back to the same problem, how to I get it to work with the agp ATI 3drage pro card i have in there? Hopefully someone here'll know, or maybe it'll hit me from the sky...:D

Well, after a bunch of testing and other forum posting, I figured a few things out...:

1)My capture card, an old ATI 3d rage all in wonder, is not compatible with KnoppMyth.

The first one i figured out at KnoppMyth's forums, and same with the second one. I moved my HD to a different computer, and that computer had an Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 in there. Something a bit different took place, the screen wouldn't shut off, but it would say that x-server was not working properly, and it would dump me at a DOS-like bash screen. I learned from my posts at KM's forums that i needed to edit the XF86Config-4 file, to make it work with Nvidia. Now, i can't use this second computer, the one with the MX420 in it, and i can't move it to my primary computer (physical limitations with the case, I hate that they are different companies and different proprietary formats for desktop versions!!!). So, i am back to the same problem, how to I get it to work with the agp ATI 3drage pro card i have in there? Hopefully someone here'll know, or maybe it'll hit me from the sky...:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, that's a drag!

I think you've got a few options.

1. Go to the Knoppix forums like shanenin suggested and see if anyone has figured out how to make your graphics card work. However, it's not a good sign if you've heard that it isn't compatible.

2. Find a version of Linux that is compatible with your hardware. I've had to do this on many occasions when the distro I want to use does not work with my sound card, cd rom drive, etc. Many distros post hardware compatibility lists at their websites. Don't be discouraged by this! You learn the most about Linux when things break, to quote my buddy shanenin:-)

3. Swap out the ATI card and find another graphics card that will work with your distro. If it's an older computer the card may not be that costly.

Good luck with this :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, that's a drag!

I think you've got a few options.

1. Go to the Knoppix forums like shanenin suggested and see if anyone has figured out how to make your graphics card work. However, it's not a good sign if you've heard that it isn't compatible.

2. Find a version of Linux that is compatible with your hardware. I've had to do this on many occasions when the distro I want to use does not work with my sound card, cd rom drive, etc. Many distros post hardware compatibility lists at their websites. Don't be discouraged by this! You learn the most about Linux when things break, to quote my buddy shanenin:-)

3. Swap out the ATI card and find another graphics card that will work with your distro. If it's an older computer the card may not be that costly.

Good luck with this :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, to answer:

1)I'm getting help at KnoppMyth's Forums, and if they can't figure it out, i'll probably have to go with a different distro (probably Mandriva, since i heard it has good hardware compatibility/detection, and easy to use) and then install MythTV from there. Though, i'm getting ahead of myself; I am going to exhaust every single option before that comes!

2)As I said, not until I use every single option!

3)That is REALLY difficult, as the computer I am using right now for this project only has a small opening for the VGA port. Since this card is in a different format than a regular card (I think it is custom for this Compaq desktop), I would have to do some metal work before I could use a different card, or get a cheap PCI card....I'll figure it out, i guess....

If you guys have any information that you think i could use, PLEASE help! Thanks!

Good luck man! I've never had much luck with Compaqs and Linux; too much proprietary hardware.

Yes, Mandriva is excellent at identifying hardware, it found all of the hardware on my old Dell Optiplex GX1, Plll 500 including my legacy sound card.

is a harddrive install an option(you mentioned mandriva), I though I read your dad will not allow you to mess with oyour windows install.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its awesome because a few days ago, we payed a visit to fry's electronics, and there was a 200GB HD for sale for $50, we bought one so i am messing with this one now :D.

I think i got the solution, i'm going to try it out in a few minutes, and i'll post what the results are....

EDIT: It didn't work, but i'm feeling lucky, maybe it will turn up....

Any time I find myself grumbling about struggling with some configuration issue with one of my Linux boxes I remind myself why I started to use Linux in the first place.

1. Low cost.

2. Stable, secure.

3. Open source.

4. Fun......I'm never bored, there's always something new to learn.

Also, when I read articles like this I'm happy I'm a Linux user. :D

Any time I find myself grumbling about struggling with some configuration issue with one of my Linux boxes I remind myself why I started to use Linux in the first place.

1.  Low cost.

2.  Stable, secure.

3.  Open source.

4.  Fun......I'm never bored, there's always something new to learn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, thats the kinda of stuff that makes me want to learn more....but i don't know....:D

1.  Low cost.

2.  Stable, secure.

3.  Open source.

4.  Fun......I'm never bored, there's always something new to learn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, thats the kinda of stuff that makes me want to learn more....but i don't know....:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hang in there, murtu52! Linux is worth the effort!

I had a similar situation happen to me when I first tried to install Slackware on my Plll 500. I partitioned my hard drive, set up my partitions then went to install the software, but, my @#*%ing CD ROM drive couldn't read the slack install cd. I tried swapping in another cd rom drive that didn't work either (BIOS issues). I finally gave up and installed Mandrake on my Plll and it worked great.

I've since installed Slack on other computers. The first time you try to install Linux it can be very painful. I suggest that before you give it a second try that you take the case off of your PC and do a thorough inventory of all of your PC components, that is, know the make, model of your cd rom drive, video card, NIC, sound card. Those are the components that'll sometimes give you trouble. Once you know what's in your box then go on-line and see if your components match up with the supported hardware of your distro.

You'll get it. :thumbsup:

yeah, my KnoppMyth computer isn't doing what i want it to do, and now even my Ubuntu laptop can't compile the drivers for the network card....I'm willing to do it, it just seems anytime i try to fix the problem it never works :(.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey murtu52, here's a link about Linux and laptops that may help you.

Linux on Laptops

You can check up on your laptop. Good luck. :D

yeah, my KnoppMyth computer isn't doing what i want it to do, and now even my Ubuntu laptop can't compile the drivers for the network card....I'm willing to do it, it just seems anytime i try to fix the problem it never works :(.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Linux on Laptops

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks...I think i'm abandoning my KnoppMyth project....it just won't work, and the harddrive i bought costs $100. So my dad said to return it, or fill out the $50 rebate (if i thought i could do it). We are going to return it <_<<_<<_<).

As for my laptop, well, i still have hope for that :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Linux on Laptops

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks...I think i'm abandoning my KnoppMyth project....it just won't work, and the harddrive i bought costs $100. So my dad said to return it, or fill out the $50 rebate (if i thought i could do it). We are going to return it <_<<_<<_<).

As for my laptop, well, i still have hope for that :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're very welcome! Good luck, man!

As I suggested take the time to learn about the components in your laptop, then find the distro that'll support your laptop hardware.