Three new search engines worth checking out

Three new search engines worth checking out

Keir Thomas, PC World

Sites to try if you're fed up with Google

DuckDuckGo

Unlike the other search engines mentioned here, DuckDuckGo appears to be just another search engine in the same mould as Google. However, it respects privacy and doesn't record search results or track you (unlike Google et al).

Qyo

Built on the theory that two (or more) heads are better than one, Qyo attempts to bring collaborative search to the masses. This is a buzz phrase within the search engine world at the moment, especially for organisations like Google and Facebook that want to expand their offerings in new directions. It's rumoured Google will soon be launching its Circles service, for example, that could feature social search.

Blekko

Blekko brings a couple of new tricks to the search party but the main one is the concept of slashtags. These are qualifying words that are added to search phrases after a slash (/) to refine the query.

For example, if I wanted to search for articles about Google Docs sorted by date, I'd type Google Docs /date. If I wanted to search for pages discussing Google Docs in the context of handheld computers like cell phones, I could type Google Docs /gadgets.

Full details: http://www.pcadvisor...?newsid=3266703