2 Os X Tiger Questions

ok I have my brand new dual 450 mac :) well new to me. I have Tiger and I now have two questions as I'm a Linux guy mostly and a Windows Guy at work (beyond my control)

when I down load files with spaces in the name (like from emails from Windows users) I never get the file extention saved (as a matter of fact it stops at the first space) not a big deal but how do I rename with out opening a terminal.. This should be easy right , I use the right click (I am a Linux guy and a Mac mouse drives me nuts , so I use a standard optical 3 button wheel mouse) but no option to rename the file?? I feel like a fish out of water here.

second question

I have X11 installed to run programs like QT designer (Programing IDE),Scribus, GIMP and GNU cash. I made the mistake of making it full screen.. hwo do I change the setting back??? I know apple-key h will hide the X11 screen but I liked it better before full screen when X11 apps we in the same space as native Apple aps.

thanks

Ok first question. don't feel bad at all. alot of people that are used to windows or linux feel uneasy with the new experience of os x. heck i honestly still miss mac os 9 sometimes and forget that there's a back button while surfing through folders.

anyways question #1. just place cursor over the the name of the file, click once and wait a second. the text should highlight it's self and just type away. i'm sure that there's another couple of ways but this is the most direct and easiest way. plus it's the only way i've ever used unless i'm already in the terminal or something.

question #2 it's command + option + a.

ok I got the second segestion to work (after I figured out it brought up the options tool bar) read I pulled my Head out of my 4th point of contact.

the first one only worked with the middle button (may be the diffrence in my mouse and a "Apple" mouse)

but thank you for pointing me in the right direction...

my next step is to put Dual 1.4 gig processers in it..

which mouse do you have?

did you install software to use it or are you running it with os x?

depending on the mouse and such you can customize what button does what in the finder and in some cases have the buttons do different things in different programs. for example i use an old kinsington 3D mouse and have it switch automatically between different sets depending on the program i'm on at the time.

I'ts a belkin 3 button wheel mouse.

I just pluged it in.. the middles button workes fine for me I really don't care, as the only fancy stuff I do is use Logic for my recording studio stuff.

I havent loaded any driver for any Items even my pritner as they just work (real Plug and Play). It did take some getting used to to not get "you just plug in .. such and such .. now installing driver"

I have doen zero configuering except back ground and fink (add /sw/bin to path)

so I'll get into that this weekend.

• 1 month later...