OL slipped in the shower

Yesterday the OL slipped in the shower and got wedged in the tub (sideways) like a cork.

It took four firefighters to pull her out . (That is because she fell into a sitting position sideways in a deep old claw foot tub, 18 inches deep and 18 inches wide, and they were worried that if she had a broken hip or leg and they were not careful they could cause more damage. So four firefighters and a strap lift up to the stretcher).

She thought her knees and hip were broken, but fortunately they were just bruised and one may be hyper-extended but no torn ligaments no broken bones.

So she has to wear two knee braces and use a walker or crutches for a couple weeks.

I guess in retrospect I should have put in anti slip treads sooner. We had had those mats with suction cups on the bottom, but they got gross stuff growing underneath then in no time and she threw them out. Same deal with the suction cup sticky anti slip decals.

I never thought that it was a real danger, but I guess now that we are growing older I should have seen the need.

So I got some adhesive treads and laid out a football field of grid-work to keep from slipping. Hopefully they will not mold or get gross, and they do not look like they will be as comfortable to lie on in a hot tub, but then at least they are safe. Hopefully they are well designed and the hot water will not loosen the adhesive and cause them to come loose or stick to skin .

Just wanted to warn the rest of you, if you don't have anti skid surface in your tub / shower; consider getting it before you fall. It could have been much worse than it is.

Pete:

I hope that your wife is OK and it sounds that she is going to be OK: I have a roll in shower, so I have a bench seat that is attached to the wall, and 2 large grab bars on the inside of the shower. I also have a "nurse call" cord that runs from the toilet to the shower, so in the event of an accident, I can pull the cord. When this happens, a bell sounds, and there is a solid white lite that comes on outside my door. Then, all a person has to do is walk up, pull open the door, and search for the person that is down. This is a good system, because the minute the cord is pulled, the door unlocks.

I usually have my wheelchair on the outside of the shower, so all I do is roll to a stop, apply the brakes, and stand pivot - having a shower like this is a dream, because I can easily take a shower. The only downside is that the water sometimes gets away from the burm stop and gets ALL OVER the floor, and means that I or BHA have to mop it up, as the floor drain is NOT in the right place to eliminate any water overflow.

Take Care,

Brian

One of our neighbors (who has complications of polio) recommended putting in grab bars too, but if I had put one where the OL would want it she would have hit her head on it when she fell. Still I may place a couple higher up where they can still offer a place to grab but be safely out of the way.

Yep, she is doing better, between pain meds and the braces she is okay as long as she keeps movement to a minimum. I cautioned her not to become immobile and risk blood clots so she gets up and hobbles from bed to computer and back several times a day. One leg requires a full length soft cast with metal bars to prevent it from bending and the other is just an elastic brace with a bunch of velcro straps.