"greatest" American.

I just saw the end of this series called "Greatest American". How did they come up with the greatest American?

The series was completely ignorant. You cant compare people like Elvis, Oprah, Bush (and so on) and come up with the "greatest" american. Their is a BIG difference between leading the country, and enterntaining the country.

Besides, what has Oprah done for the damn country? It insults me the Oprah would even be considered.

I just dont understand what the basis for this BS is. Their are too many people that could be spread out over too many categories to name ONE person.

Anyone feel my rage? :angry:<_<:)

Hi Bubba Bob,

Oprah won?!? Oy Vey. Hubby was watching it as I was doing housework and I listened to a bit of it, but then the garden called. I heard a comment that the audience boo'ed Ronald Reagan and Ben Franklin?? (booing? How disrespectful!)

US is a melting pot of varied folks and I can't think that a wealthy celebrity (or in Oprah's case, a very smart businessperson) is any more important than someone who cuts back on groceries to give to a worthy cause or volunteers their time, even if its as simple as shoveling the sidewalk of an elderly neighbor. Let's hope that Oprah is a big enough person to give the award back!

Liz

NO NO NO! Oprah got 6th or 7th. I would be VERY pissed if she did win. I jsut pointed her out because she caught my eye on the top ten list. :)

Lincoln or Reagon won. Im not sure which.

Thats why i cant stand oprah. She has all that $$, and donates very little of it. And when she does donate, it's highly televized on her show.

Heh, I remember Oprah's car "fiasco"  the worthy winners got dumped with extra income taxes, that they could ill afford, I think?? Phew, glad she didn't win  :)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Yeah, she got credit for the cars when GM donated them. That also made me ill.

EDIT:

Oprah without make-up.

oprah.jpg

What the hell? I jsut saw the end of this series called "Greatest American". How did they come up with the best American?

The series was completely ignorant. You cant compare people like Elvis, Oprah, Bush (and so on) and come up with the "greatest" american. Their is a BIG difference between leading the country, and enterntaining the country.

Besides, what has Oprah done for the damn country anyway? It insults me the Oprah would even be considered.

Same goes with some other people on that list.

I just dont understand what the basis for this BS is. Their are too many people that could be spread out over too many categories to name ONE person.

Anyone feel my rage? :angry:  <_<  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

However, there is also a big difference between leading the country, and misleading the country. So bush (lower case intended) is as big as a joke as Oprah. However Oprah does seem to be able to speak the language, whereas bush fumbles through it and then gives that stupid grin.

I feel ashamed sharing the same alma mater with the jerk. But then, my "daddy" didn't buy my way into Yale.

Joe

it's not just opera or ragan or bill clinton or bush. the whole list was all messed up. come on! i think that they didn't even try to discuss any of these. they just threw darts at the list of names.

stupid city transportation planners, they need to stop meetings at the bar with these guys.

Edited by macmarauder

!!! STUPID INSIDE JOKE !!!

(cough! cough!)

why not the inventor of iTunes?

whether or not M$ likes it iTunes has had a huge impact on a lot of lives. think of how many people you know who can't live with out it now.

that's it!! i nominate the original creator of iTunes and iPhoto.

ohhh and BTW for those who don't know it wasn't apple.

Edited by macmarauder

Heheh....finally...an American program thats a ripoff from a Canadian program and not the other way around.

We did this in Canada around a 1/2 year ago and also had quite a diverse selection of people to choose from, but ours were a little more relevant than say a talk show hostess.

The 10 finalists in our program were actually all worthy competitors but the eventual winner was the Saskatchewan Premier that introduced Universal Health Care back in the 60's, that was adopted by all of Canada soon after, Mr Tommy Douglas.

A very worthy choice as our Health Care system is second to none because of this, equal care no matter of wealth or status, no insurance required.

"greatest" American.,

IMHO??

Any one of several thousand men and women(civilian or military) who are serving their country.

Thanks too these younger(in most cases)people the rest of us can rest safely and enjoy our freedom.

:thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed, I am not one to get involved in a political debate, as a former Marine, that was an option we were not afforded. We were to carry out the duties appointed to us by the President without prejudice. For me that President was Ronald Reagan. How anyone like oprah could be included on the same list with the Man who ended the Cold War, and dissolved the USSR, wiped communism off the map in Europe, I could go on forever....

Anyway, he also is responsible for one of my favorite quotes.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan

Crap,I'm gettin' way out of control so I'm gonna let this one go but, one more thing, when I got out of the Corps I was serving under George Bush (the 1st one), and all was well. I often thought later though how hard would it be to serve under a President such as Bill Clinton, and take my job seriously.

"greatest" American.,

IMHO??

Any one of several thousand men and women(civilian or military) who are serving their country.

Thanks too these younger(in most cases)people the rest of us can rest safely and enjoy our freedom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed, I am not one to get involved in a political debate, as a former Marine, that was an option we were not afforded. We were to carry out the duties appointed to us by the President without prejudice. For me that President was Ronald Reagan. How anyone like oprah could be included on the same list with the Man who ended the Cold War, and dissolved the USSR, wiped communism off the map in Europe, I could go on forever....

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan

Crap,I'm gettin' way out of control so I'm gonna let this one go but, one more thing, when I got out of the Corps I was serving under George Bush (the 1st one), and all was well. I often thought later though how hard would it be to serve under a President such as Bill Clinton, and take my job seriously.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I served under kennedy...he tried to send me to cuba and get me killed.

"greatest" American.,

IMHO??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I served under kennedy...he tried to send me to cuba and get me killed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh but the stogies you could have had hahaa.

hahahaha...I just read the complete list of nominees for the greatest american...these people are completely nuts...where the F----do they come up with people like tom cruise? get real. these people must be off their rocker...kermit the frog wasn't even on the list.

How about Logie Baird... he invented the tv

or Thomas Edison......

or Alexander Graham Bell ...

oh I forgot we are looking for the greatest American and those were all Scots :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol::lol:

Bearskin, did he really??? Ok, I'm gullible and over the years, my Gullibility Meter is set on "doubt everything" , but I also know Mac's brilliant, so I wouldn't doubt it....so, did he really??

And Robroy!!!! Thanks to your mention of John Logie Baird, I found out that I'm related to yet another famous person. My Great Grandfather, Cassius Clay Baird was an inventor and I Googled till I found that we shared the same Coat of Arms--it has a boar on it because "a man named Baird saved William the Lion from a boar attack"

a lil bit o' my past

Like I say, I sure learn a more than tech from this place!!

Liz