Hi Marty my long time friend.

Thanks for the link to see what's going on your side of the world.

Our national news CNN/Fox/MSNBC/CBS/ABC/NBC, etc has not been carrying much updates if any lately.

Such a small world now with the internet, still continues to amaze me after 21 years, haha but that's easy to happen to me.

I'm so sad for your troubles in a serious way.

Words don't help much.

Thanks for the e-mail return so we can keep in touch better.

Lucky you without water doing a stool outside, not recommended here with all this snow, imagine that.

Summer for you on the other side of the equator.

EDIT: at my time of posting 2:35am CST, it's 9:40pm there, boggles my mind

Marsh

Edited by marsh_0x

I can just imagine the damage caused by liquefaction. Not just houses being damaged, but all the infrastructure. Roads , water and sewer lines, electric poles all would have to be replaced and not just patched. Unlike having a few breaks along fault lines and a need to repair them, you would have whole stretches with not so obvious strain where underlying support has collapsed and the lines sunk which would result in continued failure. Just think of the danger if they re established pressure in the gas lines because they tested okay , but the main would have sunk a different amount than feeders to houses and these could have pulled loose underground.

Water leaks are easy, they show up and can be patched, but gas and sewer that is a different story. They will be spending years running cameras down sewer lines trying to find the breaks.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=127405&cat=1012&fm=newsmain,narts

Looks like they are getting the water back on fairly quickly.

Then there is the whole change in flood plain levels. If there was subsidence, then areas which were previously high and dry during floods may now be flood prone.

But overall I say the Kiwis are dealing with it efficiently and well.

Hope all is well with you marty.

From FARK, New Zealanders posting pics of their makeshift toilets in apocalyptic post quake world

http://www.showusyourlongdrop.co.nz/