Hey all...hope someone might have some ideas I haven't come up with yet.

I have been running Mozilla Firefox 1.04 on my machine at work (Windows XP Pro system) and have had no problems with flash whatsoever. This morning, I went online to a local talk radio station that has just started streaming. Well, when I went to run their playing, it told me I didn't have the Active X plug-in for my browser and I needed it, so I downloaded it and installed. It seems that since then, flash hasn't worked in my browser. I have since tried to uninstall the plug-in, but it doesn't show up in my extensions list where it first installed. I have tried re-installing both Flash and, while I was there, Shockwave. I still can't see Flash. Anyone have ideas?

Oh, as a follow-up.  I decided just to try and re-install...went through the control panels to add/remove and scrapped the old firefox and used IE to go out and download a new version.  Still has same problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.

This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox. It will retain all of your previous settings,

and re-apply them to your new install.

Set windows to show hidden files, then navigate to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles

Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup), and then try reinstalling Firefox.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

None of the suggestions so far have fixed my lack-of-flash problem. For a while, I thought it might have been blocked by our network admin, but I had a friend who had flash here at work pull a site up, and they have no problems seeing it. This is frustrating. Any other ideas?? Thanks everyone!

I don't know if this will help you because I have winme..my flash player is in C:\windows\application data..it's not in my firefox folder...it's working fine in firefox...there may be a conflict.

I don't know if this will help you because I have winme..my flash player is in C:\windows\application data..it's not in my firefox folder...it's working fine in firefox...there may be a conflict.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Windows XP Pro doesn't have an application data folder in the Windows folder, but it does have flash/shockwave stuff in the c:\documents & settings folder\*user*\macromedia folder. I deleted the entire macromedia folder and tried to re-install, but alas, it's gotten me no further. This is quite a head-scratcher. And by head-scratcher I mean HUGE PAIN IN TEH AR$E.

Thanks for the continued thoughts though....keep 'em coming if you think of anything.

YAY! problem fixed. Thanks to all who gave me the thoughtful advice.

Here's what I did:

Actually thought to go out and look at Macromedia's FAQ about the Flash Player. :blink:

They suggested the following to fix all problems. Uninstall the player (which ALSO uninstalls the Active X stuff for it, which is where I believe the problem truly lied). Restart your computer. Re-install Flash. I did those steps, and voila...I'm flashing again.

:matrix:B)

Glad to hear it, WiredMonkey.

I guess the restart was the key.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, I had restarted before...I really think it was using the uninstall TOOL they provided instead of just deleting the folders - it was able to erase active X components which is what I had wanted to do in the first place. But, restarting always helps, as we in the IT business are hyper-aware.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...