Ubuntu On A Slave Drive

hi team ive installed ubuntu on a slave drive.

and on the master drive i have winxp.

my slave drive that has ubuntu dosent show up in my compt.

but does in disk management

ive 488 mgs in partition

i presume the reason is one is fts and the other is ntfs

what do i need to change so the drive with ubuntu shows up in

my compt

would deleteing the 488 partition help.

other than that.

i would have to uninstall ubuntu

and i dont really want to do that .other than that ubuntu works fine

i have the choice to boot to either win or ubuntu.

which is fine by me.but i need to see that drive with ubuntu so i can check the and defrag the disk

ect.

any ideas

thanks

marty

Hi Marty

I had the same thing and I figure it is because the drive is formatted in a way that Windows won't recognize. I WAS able to delete the partition using disk management but then the Linux files were all lost.

Sorry I can't be of help but I thought I'd give you my observations so you know that you're not the only one to have this problem.

Jim

Hi Marty

I had the same thing and I figure it is because the drive is formatted in a way that Windows won't recognize.  I WAS able to delete the partition using disk management but then the Linux files were all lost. 

Sorry I can't be of help but I thought I'd give you my observations so you know that you're not the only one to have this problem.

Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi jimras,

i think robroy was having the same trouble

in all the time ive had any thing to do with linux this has been the problem

perhaps we need to change the jumper.

im just not cinfident enought o do that.

are you still having that problem

as well im going to have to configure my dial up

so ive plenty of work ahead of me

thanks

marty

Microsoft will never see your linux partiton for two reasons, one microsoft does not want you to dual boot with another OS and two they did not include any drivers. Linux includes drivers for Windows and Mac, BSD ... so its by far not Linux's fault..

you can call Microsoft and ask what to do, there are a few ext/reiser drivers for windows if you search google but most are poorly written, if you must share between them create a fat partition that both can read and write to.

maybe Microsoft will become unaragent and learn that they are not the only OS in the world.

This is just one more weekness in the Windows.

Edited by iccaros
Microsoft will never see your linux partiton for two reasons, one microsoft does not want you to dual boot with another OS and two they did not include any drivers. Linux includes drivers for Windows and Mac, BSD ... so its by far not Linux's fault..

you can call Microsoft and ask what to do, there are a few ext/reiser drivers for windows if you search google but most are poorly written, if you must share between them create a fat partition that both can read and write to.

maybe Microsoft will become unaragent and learn that they are not the only OS in the world.

This is just one more weekness in the Windows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi iccaros

i had the same trouble with mandrake

windows wouldnt let me see the drive with

mandrake on it

and now im having the same trouble with ubuntu

i believe it wondows blocks the mbr

a friend got round it by putting the 2 oses on the one drive instead of two drives

but i do not know how to do that

ive tride shifting the jumper pin back to to the

master slave position

but it tells me there is a boot error

so i had to take the jumper pin out and use the drive without a jumper

as a slave in fact

and that gives me the option to boot either way xp or ubuntu

but i cant see the drive with ubuntu.

i spent most of the night surfing ubuntu

and i like what i see

so some of us are at a stale mate

the problem is i need

xp at the moment

if iwas competent with ubuntu

ide leave xp alone for a while

ive tried the linux help board

and ive posted my Q

on their board

but havent got an answer for 4 days

marty

dont kill yourself trying to get windows to see and access the linux filesystem. it'll never happen(at least for know).

although ive heard of a program to allow accessing ext2 (and maybe ext3) filesystems.

as iccaros said, blame ms

dont kill yourself trying to get windows to see and access the linux filesystem. it'll never happen(at least for know).

although ive heard of a program to allow accessing ext2 (and maybe ext3) filesystems.

as iccaros said, blame ms

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok ive got my compt to recognise the f drive but it is the partition with nothing on it

the partition i want recognised is the one with

ubuntu on it

im afrais ile have to uninstall it becuse i cant get any satifaction out of this board

there are several of us with the same problem

and all we get is blame microsoft instead of trying to get round the problem.

if this is the sort of help board. god help linux for help.

because it isnt here.

ile have to try some where else

marty

Marty, it can't be done, the file format in any form of linux is so different from windows that windows won't recognise there is anythng there. If you want to do things like defragment that drive you have to either find a linux progam or write one. Even if it is a partition on the main drive, when you defrag windows it will not recognise or harm the contents of that partition. I am not sure what you are trying to do exactly. My problem was that I couldn't get either o s to boot, but that was caused by a bad sector on the hard drive right where it stores the master boot record. To put both o ses on the same drive you have to use a program to partition the drive, basically you a creating a new logical drive on the primary drive. Even then windows won't see that partition, but linux can see and use stuff fron the windows partition or drive. I can still play my music which is on the windows partition, from ubuntu or iccaros or slax. I am not certain why you need to see the linux patition from windows. Basically any kind of disk management on the linux disk will have to be done from within linux

ok robroy why have i got c; drive and f: drive visable in my compt

now.

i had it once before when i had mandrake 9.1

a friend did it for me

he did it in disc managagement

he said if you have to many partitions your drive will dissapear from my compt

how ever i wont persever with it

i still have the modem thing to deal with

its a pity

ide like to have tried it

im not techminded enough to go on with it .

marty

The computer recognises both dives being present when you boot up. When you installed ubuntu it asked where to install and also to make a partition to install it on. If you answered that in such a way that the computer didn't use the whole of your second drive then an f drive would show up under windows. I don't have xp so I am not sure if that may recognise the ext3 partition that ubuntu makes and show that up as your f drive. I am sure one of the linux experts couldhelp with the dial up problem you have. I don't know enough and don't use dial up. Ubuntu automatically found my cable modem and connected me.

but i need to see that drive with ubuntu so i can check the and defrag the disk

ect.

No need to defrag drives in linux, it's a far more efficient file system

Not entirely accurate...As iccaros said, there are drivers (poorly written) to give READ ONLY access to an ext2/ext3 file system from windows...you would not perform any drive maintenance of any kind, these drivers are only for viewing the files on that partition

although I have never had a problem using these drivers and have recommended them to others, I would never say that they can't mess up your system and would take no responsibility if that did happen ;)

Drivers I've used

As iccaros also stated, the way to go is sharing a fat32 partiton between the 2 operating systems...both are capable of reading and more importantly writing to fat32.

• 4 weeks later...

In XP, go to control panel and open administrative tools

In there, open computer management and then click on

disk management from the choices on the left side of the screen.

Your computer will recognize that there is a drive and partition there and it will show it as healthy.

Because it is of a different file system than windows, you will not be able to read it or do anything with it in windows but the computer knows it's there.

Because it is of a different file system than windows, you will not be able to read it or do anything with it in windows but the computer knows it's there.

jimras,

Both Mistamatt's reply and mine are links to drivers that make it possible to read ext2/3 file systems within windows...although I've never had a problem using the drivers from the link in my reply, I've heard there's a possibility of corruption due to the drivers being experimental.

I've gotten away from using them, 1) by seldom booting to windows :D and 2) created a small FAT32 partition for sharing between the 2 OSes as both can read and write to FAT32 (or VFAT as it is called in linux)