My New Vmware

Hi y'all

Just me, wanting to blabber is all.

I should probably be doing this in the Cafe but...

I bought a copy of VMWare today and have installed 2 copies of XP on it so far, one XP Pro SP2 and one XP Home which I have to get SP2 for yet. It's a big d'load and virtual machines are considerably slower on things so I'll leave that for an overnight d'load and install.

For those of you that don't know what VMWare is or what it's used for, here's a quick overview.

VMWare is a Virtual Machine software which allows you to have any number of "Virtual" operating systems installed and booted at the same time.

This means that I can have a fully functioning "virtual" Linux and XP Home installs booted at the same time as I have my main "physical" XP Pro install booted. I can have any number of virtual OS's running at one time.

Once you create a virtual machine, which maps and uses your physical machines hardware and memory, you install an OS on it just as you would on the physical machine, formatting it and everything. Once installed the OS is fully functional and has complete Internet connectability, just like your physical OS does so it also needs to be protected the same way.

Now all I have to do when testing things like registry edits or how spyware installs and affects systems is to boot my machine normally, then start my VMWare workstation, and I can boot any or all of the other virtual OS's. I can test any changes without having to physically boot to my test OS copy and then boot back to my main to do the changes once they've been tested. I can simply test it on the virtual OS and if it works, make the change in my main OS right away.

It's so cool but this sucker aint cheap...$189.00 USD, but it's such a major time saver for me it's well worth it.

Here is the specs on VMWare and some screenshots for those interested in seeing what this is like.

VMWare screenshots

Later...I'm off to play with my new toy for awhile ;)

Glad you like your new toy, Chappy! I can see where that would be a huge help to you, since you are such a huge help to others. Must make solving problems a lot easier. Go play.

Liz

OOOOOOO! a new toy!

(downloads pirated copy off hotline server) cost = $0.01 HAHAHAHAHA!

(installs)

ComputerExplosion.gif

that was a mistake. ok here's what happened. i installed it with ease, then installed and ran a copy of Windows 95, 98, and XP. then i installed and ran 2 distros of Linux. great!@ then just for kicks i hacked it so that i could install apples OS X. it worked fine for a little while, but then i had the blue screen of death on all 3 copies of Windows (something about being hungry and wanting sandwiches), the Linux twins were fighting over the remote to the driver files, OS X was depressed, feeling unloved and not so special anymore, and Dos was running around looking for the bathroom. after a while of trying to get everything settled down Dos was urinating on some jumper wires and sparks came flying out of the tower.

hey that's mine :P i'll use the command button on you....... ;) LOL

i think that picture accurately portrays a PC when it smells the stench of mac on me. it' think that last time the M$ logo sprayed me like a skunk. OOOO god i've got the cent of windows on me now, get it off get it off!!!

(slips the elastic band of pine tree air freshener over forehead and holds tree over nose)

Edited by macmarauder