What are you snacking on?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

after the chicken was done, I removed it from the sauce then reduced the sauce in a pan till it thickened and sweetened a bit. It turned out pretty good.

Glad you liked it. It is a quick and easy dish.

I went out for Chinese food tonight. We had boneless pork, special chow mein (veggies, prawns, noodles), and fried rice that had shrimp and eggs mixed up in it. Very good indeed. I had a coke and the kids had chocolate milk and orange juice. My wife had a glass of water.

Two day sale locally , Oscar Mayer Wieners and bun length wieners are 99cents for a one pound pack, no limits.

So I bought eight pounds and put some in the freezer for later and grilled a half pound on the grill outside .

A couple days ago I grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts , and there was still one left, so I made skillet enchiladas.

Chopped the chicken, diced some jalapenos and an onion and crumbled in some mexican queso fresco and heated it up .

Then I took corn tortillas and ran them under water, then tossed them in a hot non stick skillet for thirty seconds, flipped them and heated thirty seconds on the other.

Filled and rolled one while the next was heating up, when I had a plate, drizzled on some green enchilada sauce and sprinkled with monterray jack cheese and microwaved the plate about a minute for the cheese to melt.

El Yummo.

EDIT: rats had this thread open in another tab and must have accidentally posted when the news of Christchurch (Marty) earthquake hit and didn't finalize my recipe.

Peking duck will be saved for another day.

40 years ago realized hanging a duck on the clothes line outside to dry was not smart, fly attack.

Inside the house using the shower rod, door locked to keep the cat out (or is that cat house haha).

I refrain from using the word secret (because I share), rather trick to separate the skin from the flesh so the 1/4" fat layer can be melted away in a hot 425f oven.

Be sure to have a drip tray.

Air compressor in the cavity worked better than the neck, your mileage could vary.

To be continued...

Edited by marsh_0x

Spaghetti the other day, cold front today, only going to be in the sixties so it is gumbo day today. Chicken, sausage, okra....

Fat Tuesday Gumbo

* 7 oz turkey sausage

* 1 tablespoon Olive Oil

* 1 boneless chicken breast

* 1 cup chopped onion

* 1 cup chopped celery

* 1 cup chopped bell peppers

* 1/4 cup chopped garlic

* 1 teaspoon Thyme

* 1/2 teaspoon Oregano

* 2 teaspoon Paprika

* 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (add 1 additional tsp to make spicier)

* 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper

* 1 teaspoon Sea Salt

* 1 teaspoon Onion Powder

* 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

* 1 can (28 oz) Diced Tomatoes with Basil

* 2 cups low sodium, 98% fat free chicken broth

* 3 Bay Leaves

* 1/4 cup wheat flour

Directions:

Slice turkey sausage and place in a skillet with olive oil and fry until lightly crisp. Remove turkey sausage and place in a bowl. Place chicken breast in the skillet and fry on both sides. Remove chicken breast and cut into small cubes and set to the side with the turkey sausage.

In a separate skillet, add chopped onion, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté for about 7 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Add spices, can of tomatoes, chicken broth, chicken and sausage. Bring to a simmer. Add bay leaves and cover.

Brown the wheat flour by sprinkling it into a small, dry pan and heating until it turns a darker brown. You will need to constantly stir the flour so it doesn't burn.

Add browned flour to gumbo, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Makes 8 cups. Serving size 1 cup.

Nutritional Breakdown (per serving):

Calories 154, Fat 2 grams, Protein 14 grams, Sodium 500 mg, Carbohydrates 12 grams, Fiber 3 grams

I am being sneaky by munching on bite size Mounds bars and peppermint patties while the nephrologist is talking to the other dialysis patients across the room. The dietitian almost caught me twice.

Dude....that is awesome:)

I'm finishing up my coffee at the moment. I'm having a banana and some pseudo-nutritional cereal for breakfast. That is, the box looks like it should be healthy, but, I get a real sugar hit when I eat it. :thumbsup:

I am being sneaky by munching on bite size Mounds bars and peppermint patties while the nephrologist is talking to the other dialysis patients across the room. The dietitian almost caught me twice.

Hi TT, not sure if you use your name here so I won't.

Long ago my diabetic nurse said 21 meals a week and I can cheat on one.

Wasn't that nice of her, now not even hungry for anything but this thread gives me inspiration...

Marsh

Edited by marsh_0x

This week the specials were White Mushrooms for 58cents for an 8oz pack , milk for 99 cents a gallon, and boneless skinless chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound.

Made home made cream of mushroom soup two ways (used egg slicer to make uniform slices and left half that way and then used the stick blender to chop up the rest for a slightly different texture) and grilled chicken breasts to go with it (had a cup with diced grilled chicken added). Made extra grilled chicken for the next day.

Next day I made chefs salads (romaine, iceberg, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, grilled chicken, cheese) with the leftover chicken.

Got canned crab meat (8oz cans for 99 cents) so am trying to figure out what I want to make with it. Crab rangoons? Crab foo yung? Pasta with crab meat? Crabby patties?

Gave the last of the gumbo to the dogs, now they are chili dogs... Ha ha ha.

New Zealand Mussels (in shell) , cooked with wine , chopped garlic, chopped onion, and herbs de provence and served on angel hair pasta.

Not quite Pasta ala vongolo but definitely good and tasty.

Serve with a couple slices of crusty bread to soak up the excess juice.

Edit for a new day, went by the store and they had 20oz frozen pizzas half pepperoni half extra cheese for 2 for $3. So I guess we will have store bought pizza . Might jazz it up a bit with some mushrooms, ham, onions etc or maybe just go for em as they are. Really for a buck fifty a pizza you can't beat it.

Besides which, with it getting cold again (down to the sixties from yesterdays high in the eighties) it is a great excuse to run the oven.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh please keep this thread going, being a diabetic as some others here are.

So hard to eat when I/we need to, forced into eating with no desire to is quite a chore at times.

I need some more inspiration...

Yesterday another attempt at meatloaf

1/2 # black Angus hamburger

1/4 # pork sausage hoping for more flavor

1/3 cup of oatmeal for a filler

1 raw egg

1 hard boiled egg, made for a perfect texture

Salt (Nu salt by Morton is potassium not sodium) like in a banana the body needs to prevent cramping of the feet and hands

Black pepper

A1 steak sauce

Worcester sauce

Ketchup both in the filer and later topped off with brown sugar/ketchup

Chopped onion, next time will add green pepper and more of something ?

If only I could ask mom her recipe as a kid a lifetime ago

Tho microwave reheats makes it better but getting burned out after 3

So maybe malt-o-meal or oatmeal with toast will work tonight

Hard decisions with life but ~Goes on in different Directions~ haha

Yesterday was beautiful grilling weather so I put the stainless steel flattop griddle on the grill out back and fired it up screaming hot and made burgers. I really like the crust a burger gets when cooked on a really hot griddle like that. In fact, I have begun using it to cook a lot of things like beef or chicken for fajitas (pound em out flat like scallopini and marinate in a ziploc and then toss em on the screaming hot griddle and let em smoke away and then flip and you are done in a couple of minutes, just chop it up and toss in a tortilla or pita or burger bun with appropriate fixings. ).

Today I started off the day by making a pot of asparagus soup. Chop off the tips and save them (I will use them in pasta prima vera, but you can add them to the soup at the end). Take the stalks and slice into really thin slices (under 1/8 inch ) all but the bottom inche or two (you will notice when it gets hard to slice) Dice in a leek (you can include the green part) or onion, some garlic (I like a lot) and add a can or two of chicken stock (I use a can per pound of asparagus) and boil it for five or ten minutes until soft. Blend with a stick blender, add milk or sour cream if you want, add in the tips if you want (and let cook a couple more minutes) .

Great either hot or cold.

Still not sure what I will do for dinner, but the weather is so fine I feel like grilling something. So maybe grill off some veggies for pasta prima vera.