Dual Boot Failure

Ok I set up an older comp with 2 hd the master has win 2k and the slave has ubuntu 5.04. When I try to boot the computer it gets to

grub loading stage1.5.

grub loading, please wait...

never gets beyond this point

any ideas

TIA :(

Hiya robroy,

google search: reinstall grub, ubuntu ;)

This thread on ubuntu's forums is kinda messy with only one post stating he fixed the issue (second to the last response) but a few mentions of different ways to go about reinstalling grub....not really sure if reinstalling grub will fix the issue but seems possible and also worth a shot if this is just a fresh install without worry of b0rking alot of customized settings.

hope it helps

Thanks Tictoc but I gave up trying to fix the problem and am reinstalling both win 2k and ubuntu. Luckily I didn't have anything critical onthe comp so I reformatted to get rid of everything

Thanks Tictoc but I gave up trying to fix the problem and am reinstalling both win 2k and ubuntu. Luckily I didn't have anything critical onthe comp so I reformatted to get rid of everything

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as a windows user we get ingrained in our heads that the cure for most problems is a reinstall.

ive reinstalled linux several times when it was unnecessary.

more than likely your problem can be fixed by either reinstalling grub (which is fairly easy), or editing grub.conf/menu.lst

turns out my problems were twofold

bad install disk, downloading and burning a new copy

bad sectors on the hard drive

I had tried several times to reinstall grub with the same result and could not get in to edit the menu.lst

so It works now or are you still haveing problems.

Still having problems with the hard drive, guess i have to go out and get a new one

I fdisk, formatted and scandisk it and scandisk says it is good, even with surface scan. But when I try to load any software it seems to have problems :angry2::angry2:

Still having problems with the hard drive, guess i have to go out and get a new one

I fdisk, formatted and scandisk it and scandisk says it is good, even with surface scan. But when I try to load any software it seems to have problems :angry2:  :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi robroy,

Did you determine for sure that your software is okay, your md5 checksums are okay?

I finally got win 2k back on one drive, now I am going to redownload and burn the ubuntu cd. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. the original seemed to have burned ok but never let me get to boot up. It seemed to have corrupted the original mbr

hi team

some days ago i posted on having a dual boot with winxp and ubuntu

after a few miss and hits ive finally got a choice of what ever OS

i need either xp or ubuntu

i was wary about the dial modem but

iccaros

said until we meet that hurdle.get ubuntu on first

ok i need your advice how do i configured the dial up modem

my modem is a dse 56k xh1154 ham pci intel v2

i have the modem driver cd if it is any help

i would appreciate any info

and help

im quite excited about this venture

ive had mandrake 9,1 before but i think my cd is corrupted

i like linux but im not brainy enough to set it all up

thanks in advance, i have many q to ask later

reading through robroys post my set up is simliar

xp on the master and ubuntu on the slave.

i hope this is right

marty