Windows update w/Radeon included causes reboot

Hello all.

I have a home built that has given me very little problems until now.

A few weeks ago, Windows Update popped up in the task bar notifying me of updates.I almost always choose custom and saw the ATi 3800 series in the results so I added that to the update list to install.

Ever since then the monitor will go black and reboot while the computer stays running or the computer will reboot.This happens when doing photo editing and certain downloads.It rebooted while doing a search for a file in the computer yet I can copy media.

So, some things cause the computer to reboot and some cause the monitor to go black and restart.

A week or so later I was getting pop ups from Avast saying my version was about to expire.A few days later I decided to look at it closer and decided to purchase a special they had going to cover three computers for x amount of dollars.All hell broke loose then.The computer reboots all on it's own.Removed Avast and downloaded AVG 2011 and at first it seemed OK but then I tried some photo editing and a download and the same thing happens.Computer will freeze up then reboot.

It went downhill from there.At one point I had the BSOD flashing by real fast at every reboot.Finally I went SAFE Mode and ended up uninstalling display driver from device manager.

Loaded the Radeon/Catalyst install disc, installed driver then tried to install the latest ATi update labeled: AMD Catalyst Accelerated Parallel Processing Technology Edition 49 Mb

While installing components, I get a pop up that says, Application Install: install package failure!

Posted at the ATi Forum but I get no replies.I am without antivirus because the computer will not function, it just reboots with it installed and operating and I have to be careful what I do or the thing will freeze and reboot.

What am I doing wrong?

Why is this so difficult?

Why does two of the new Anti Virus's cause this thing to shut down and reboot?

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe, E6850 Core 2 Duo, Corsair RAM, SATA Seagate HD 500Gb and this ATi Radeon HD 3850 GPU

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

Redog

d9e86fef635a.jpg

Thats what this is.

It's where the latest came from.

Remember, I had first picked it up through the windows update but after the BSOD crap I went in to SAFE MODE and removed the driver.I then went to ATi and downloaded the driver package "AMD Catalyst Accelerated Parallel Processing Technology Edition".

It was 49 Mb and I also went and installed Net Framework and all its updates.

I was thinking about removing the driver again and picking driver only instead of the package but DANG IT, why?

I have another hard drive I just installed Windows 7 on and none of the ASUS Motherboard Utilities works.

What a sham.

Another thing is, on the ATi forums, someone had similar issues and they ran a program called GACview or something and it showed all these registry or some kind of entries that he removed and claims he's up and running.I have similar entries but not the same and don't know if I should try it.

Thats the last one I installed, and it gives me the failure pop up you see in the first post.

49.5 Mb

You want me to uninstall driver in device manager and then install this same package of drivers again?

Yes uninstall it then reinstall the original drivers. If the graphics functions properly then try reinstalling the newest driver.

I think it's fixed.

Removed all ATi stuff. Used Driver Sweeper to clean all ATi registry entries.

Then I installed the drivers only from Mfg Disc and not the CCC and Hydravision.

Next I updated my Bios and finally installed the updated driver only.

Took all day to download Anti-Virus since I am at the end of my billing cycle I am throttled back to dial-up speeds.So far it seems to be OK.