Mars Encounter?

Hi All,

Well, after a bit of confusion, and Handplane and I wearing out our edit buttons, all I can say is look down :P And mark your calendar for October, 2005 (because I'll surely forget to bump this up in October!)

And thanks, Handplane, I owe you again!

Liz

My fault, Liz.

I apologize for my error.

Sis is correct.

June 07, 2005

ANOTHER Close Encounter with Mars?

According to a forwarded email circulating for the past month or so, the planet Mars is due for an unprecedented close encounter with Earth this August when a wobble in its orbit brings the two planets closer together than they have been for thousands of years. "No one alive today will ever see this again," says the email — which is odd, considering that exactly the same thing happened two years ago.

Turns out, the email is a recycled message from 2003. Even so, it's not entirely false. Earth and Mars will pass very close to one another again in October (not August) 2005, astronomers say, at which time their orbits will be a mere 43 million miles apart (slightly more than the 35 million miles separating them in 2003). It won't quite equal the once-in-a-lifetime show of two years ago, but the enounter will be "breathtaking" nonetheless, scientists predict, with the red planet outshining every object in the night sky save Venus and the Moon.

Thanks, Handplane!

LOL, I am laughing at the poor folks who are reading this thread and saying, "Liz, what the samhail are you doing to this well organized forum??" Glad to know Sis did get this....somewhat right. She's blonde, afterall ;) From your post, you had to do some research to come up with this info, thanks for the time you spent hunting it up!! *big hug*

Liz

Don't feel bad about it Liz. That is the way it goes sometimes.

Here is a fun Mars site to make up for it, and some other good sites too.

Explore Mars Now

Astronomy

Space

Imagine the Universe

Sky and Telescope

Nine Planets

Astronomy Cafe

Hobby Space site with good links

Most of those came from Leoville's cafe posters. Enjoy.

Don't feel bad about the email Liz.

God bless everyone.

From outer space to oceanic exploration....Enjoy.

Here is a site for Marty, if he finds this thread.

New Zealand Ring of Fire oceanic exploration

And the general oceanic NOAA site is here.

NOAA oceanic exploring

And on to the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle for variety.

I just saw a tv program in the last few days on this subject, first I've seen in a long time.

Found the website a week or two ago, by accident, (from a computer website linking to it. HuH!)

Bermuda Triangle

God bless everyone.

Hi All,

To all the folks who may have read this very confusing post earlier, please re-read it, it changed once again--gotta love that edit button. I should get a patent on confusion :P

And Sidekickcat, you are becoming a linkmaster like Sultan!! Showing these to Son, he took astrology and he will be real interested in them. Thank you!

Liz

Hey Liz.....not a problem....things happen sometimes.... :D

Was still interesting reading....

Edit buttons can be a real saver thats for sure...

Got some good links there sidekickcat......thanks.... ;)

fsdaj klfg ;ldfs l ;sadf uu sdf barbra streisand ;;l sdfak; nose ljdfs sdf; communication device

';dfsij io o;ifsad j fsda dfs dfsaj sah

marshmellows sdfao 'dfsj; jljfsa d in samual adams

fsdao 'jkasfd afdlks[oisa joivs ijdsa[ jsadi jfsda

adfs 'jfsda'i fhdis

fdsa

j

df dfs dfs j dfslo fsd'a jk dsf lkjijlmfdso ofs 99.99% acuracy ewf iul khfsad lih fsad

fsdal' idfsp ju98 ysafd noOOOOOO adfsop adfs;oj34 i can't be gfsg gssg father

afj'p iuofds oiu 034 mu prtlgg baby has your anteni y fewalji7n efwak0 9u pojgiu gyirta

' dsahp dfoi[j;ero s df osad

'mkga ojaw

Macmarauder translation: "I've been eating way too many Marshmallows, drinking Samuel Adams, listening to Barbara (like buttah) and watching Maury Povich's Paternity Show and have gone bye-bye???" Or are you saying, "Little Timmy's in the well!!"? Ok, ok, you can patent confusion, but can you please give me just a tiny little byline? :P

Liz

hi thesidekickcat

im a mad fan on space and all associated with it

the space carriculum

is a part of our education program

it wasent when i went to school but ive put all those

sites in my favourites.

thanks

i have a hell of a lot of books on space and the universe

but it isnt like being able to access it on the internet where it is a visual

exersice .

we have a part of our uni

education

on the universe

but most who take it on have to go overseas to further thier studies.

one of our students got to go on a nasa course

i think she got to go on a stars trip

her name is Neroli Ann Robinson.

and it was a priveledge for me to play indoor cricket

in the same team as her.

and got to listen to her experiences at nasa .

hey ive rambled on to long

but this thread is on a subject i love.

thanks team for your input

marty

Hello folks,

I am glad you liked the links and you are welcome.

As for being as good as Sultan on links, no waaaay! He has tons of them and is so fast at putting just the right ones in a post. I think Google must go to him for good stuff, anyhow he is the best linker around!!!

This has been a fun thread, confusion works for me (at least most of the time!)

That just seems funny to me, about the once in a lifetime, or lots of lifetimes, ...close encounter with the Martians...oops I guess Mac is getting me sidetracked... close orbit of the Mars planet happening again so soon (albeit not quite as close?)!

I guess we'd better get ready to protect Mac from any alien attempts to take him away from our midst, as we sure don't want to lose him. They may already be in contact with him, and he in turn seems to be typing a 'call for help', though their language translater is a bit primitive. ( :rolleyes: Edit: That didn't come out the way I planned, :rolleyes: sorry about that,...I meant Mac's keyboard typing part 'Martian' and part English...not Liz's translation. :rolleyes: Just want to clear that up and extract my feet from my mouth yet again!!!! :rolleyes: ) So folks, we only have until Oct, to devise a plan to protect Mac. Any ideas?

Take time folks everyday to look everywhere, including up, to admire God's wonderful creation!

This moment in time is the real once in lifetime opportunity to experience this moment in time.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
LOL, I am laughing at the poor folks who are reading this thread and saying, "Liz, what the samhail are you doing to this well organized forum??"

Liz

I forgot to give you a website on one of the Sam Hill's, in regards to your using samhail. The original sayng is actually Sam Hill, but who was Sam Hill, and which one was he? One was quite an important man here in the Pacific Northwest.

What in the Sam Hill?

Maryhill Museum and Stonehenge replica story

As for the museum itself, it is in a rural, rather desolate, isolated area of South Central Washington along the Columbia River, on the dry side of the Cascade Mountains.

Maryhill Museum collections

The museum has an eclectic collection of art, sculpture, and an eccentric mix of other things.

So that is the background to who the NW's Sam Hill was and what he did in the NW.

Oh I had better put in a link to the history (first link), and the Peace Arch Park (second link which takes awhile on dial-up to load) of the Peace Arch between British Columbia, Canada and Washington, U.S.A. since Sam Hill was a part of that too.

Peace Arch

Peace Arch

So that is part of the What/Who is Sam Hill, or at least our NW version.

God bless everyone.

Anybody following the Deep Impact Mission?

“[it’s like] a bullet trying to hit a second bullet with a third bullet in the right place at the right time trying to watching the first two bullets and trying to gather the scientific data from that impact.â€

Deep Impact Countdown

Thanks for the link.

I hadn't heard of that project before.

And I like that space news site (parent of the Deep Impact site), and its close relative live science.

I bet my hubby and I will learn alot from the two sites.

Links added for clarity here, or maybe it was just me that had a hard time navigating around on a darker site at first. If so, sorry about that. Anyhow found lots more of interest by parent company of tg's link.

I think I mentioned earlier that I'm good at confusion, or creating it, whichever.

Space

Live Science

God bless everyone.

A couple more space sites, that might be of interest:

Journey to Mars and beyond. Lasts 12 mins.:

spacewander.com

Complete collection of every Hubble Space Telescope news release and its supporting materials, along with tools and resources designed to further your knowledge of astronomy:

hubblesite.org

Provides you with all the information you need to observe satellites such as the International Space Station and the Space Shuttle, spectacular events such as the dazzlingly bright flares from Iridium satellites as well as a wealth of other spaceflight and astronomical information. Provides the times of visibility, and detailed star charts showing the satellite's track through the heavens. Generated in real-time and customized for your location and time zone:

heavens-above.com

Cool science site:

madsci.org

Fun to play with:

An easy-to-use, interactive web site for estimating the regional environmental consequences of an impact on Earth. This program will estimate the ejecta distribution, ground shaking, atmospheric blast wave, and thermal effects of an impact as well as the size of the crater produced.

Earth Impact Effects Program

Thanks for the additional great sites, tg!!!

Played with them last night for awhile, and learned quite abit.

And for anyone who read my earlier post in this thread trying to tease Mac, and saw both my feet planted firmly in my mouth, well I just did a dual foot extraction edit to the post. And I am sorry for any hurt caused by it. Didn't even think about how it might be interpreted as anything but my talking about Mac's 'Martian' language with it's partial English translation in his post itself, until the middle of the night last night when it hit me as to how it might seem like I was talking about Liz's translation which I wasn't... :rolleyes: oh my!!!! :rolleyes: I am so sorry about that. Gee whiz, even the apology, and trying to correct the problem, seems to have put both my feet back in my mouth again. Sigh!!! :unsure::rolleyes::unsure::rolleyes:

I think I will go read the boards, and try to stay out of anymore trouble for the rest of the day.

God bless everyone.

Hey Sidekickcat,

I didn't see your "both feet in mouth thing" that way at all--I knew what you were talking about!! :P And had a good hearty laugh reading your post! So you get back to your wonderful posting, young lady!! Besides, we need your help teasing Macmarauder, as he needs a village ;) (waves to Mac!)

Liz

TThanks (said as I extract last foot from mouth) Liz, I appreciate your understanding.

You are a delight to these boards, my friend.

Deep breath..... sigh!!!

Now pouring in strong coffee to offset foot taste. :P:rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

LOL, Handplane, that is so cute!!!! And you know, I certainly could use that picture occasionally ;) Can I steal it and stash it (or copy, paste), and ....(you know it's coming).....how?

Liz

Thanks, Handplane, that was a cinch, even for Noobyme!! Even went to My Pictures and checked to make sure it was living there. Now.....how do I put it elsewhere, like in a post?

Might need it after Macmarauder reads what I wrote about him! (I'm kidding, Macmarauder, I'm kidding, you know what a smart*ss I am ;) )

Liz

PS--Sidekickcat, I would use clownfeet, too, except they look too much like my own gunboats :D And...you are too kind! I've never been referred to as a "delight" before (insert a red face here) thank you.

And for anyone who read my earlier post in this thread trying to tease Mac, and saw both my feet planted firmly in my mouth, well I just did a dual foot extraction edit to the post. And I am sorry for any hurt caused by it. Didn't even think about how it might be interpreted as anything but my talking about Mac's 'Martian' language with it's partial English translation in his post itself, until the middle of the night last night when it hit me as to how it might seem like I was talking about Liz's translation which I wasn't...  :rolleyes:  oh my!!!!  :rolleyes:  I am so sorry about that. Gee whiz, even the apology, and trying to correct the problem, seems to have put both my feet back in my mouth again. Sigh!!!  :unsure:  :rolleyes:  :unsure:  :rolleyes:

your not in trouble, you didn't offend anyone and as far as confusing and sidetracking the thread i'm the culprit as usual.

don't worry about it. besides when our alien masters arrive your on my safe list :D

you too Blim ;)