yeah, I know...G4 isn't the cool place to be but since more than a few of us lurk over there and in light of a couple complaints about their ads...here ya go...a quickie how-to.

G4 is just an example but once you figure out the domain name for all the ads at the sites you frequent, your browsing can become considerably quicker and virtually ad-free.

If you have the Adblock extension installed in firefox (and you should since it's a must-have extension), open adblock's list of "adblock-able items" and wildcard (*) these 2 domains like so:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/* and http://oascentral.g4techtv.com/*

voila!!!, no more ads! ;)

Visual aid :D :

snapshot13.jpg

Very good tip, Tictoc, thank you!

I just ignore the ads (I have kids, I'm good at ignoring distractions!) but being the "all too curious pest" that I am, is there a way to block the ads using IE? Yeah, I know, I KNOW, I shouldn't use IE :P but I'm too techdumb to attempt to learn another system, I just figured out this one!

And nice tip, Sidekickcat! Betcha it would also work to block the ads, too, they appear to be about the same width as the Buddylist Box (although I would keep checking to see who's online.....!)

Liz

is there a way to block the ads using IE?

Hmmmmm, that I wouldn't know....even when I did use windows, I preferred alternative browsers so I never needed to know.

I'm not sure if Norton firewall or any of the adblockers stop ads in IE...Someone else have an answer on this?

I just ignore the ads (I have kids, I'm good at ignoring distractions!)

I'm pretty good at that also but when it comes to internet speed, I like to squeeze all I can out of my connection....there's always room for improvement. ;)

Distractions are one thing but some are just down right obnoxious...If I want sparkles, blinking lights, flash or nude women on the pages I might as well get my @$$ off the PC and go to the local nudey bar :lol:

I have Norton with it's built in ad-blocker, and I do not see any ads at all. It doesn't matter which browser I use, IE or Firefox. This is on my Dell notebook.

On my Dell desk top I have Pc-cillin (TrendMicro) which does not have an ad blocker, so I got Super Ad Blocker (not free) and it blocks everything. I had a bit of trouble with NIS 2005 when it first came out. It slowed my computer down almost to a halt, but Norton has corrected that, but in the mean time I tried TrendMicro.

Here is a link for Super Ad Blocker if you are interested:

http://www.superadblocker.com/?tag=SUPERADBLOCKER

This works on IE only, which is what I needed it for. I tried all the free ones and they did not completely block banner ads.

Barb :D

I'm sorry, I should have said I use IE, and my 2004 Norton Firewall blocks all G4 and other sites ads, except the Google ads on Leoville etc, maybe it would block them too if I added them to my blocked stuff but haven't tried it.

That's good to know, Barb, that Norton blocks them in all browsers. Hadn't even thought of it before.

Google toolbar used to have an ad blocker I think, don't know if they still do.

Liz, doesn't your McAfee suite (oh will I ever learn to spell McAfee?!?), have a firewall, if so then does it have an adblocker? You might already have one and don't know it, which would be nice to find out!!!

God bless everyone.

That's good to know, Barb, that Norton blocks them in all browsers. Hadn't even thought of it before.

Sidekickcat:

Let me clarify that it blocks all ads in the browsers that I use, which are IE, Slimbrowser (IE clone) and Firefox. It probably does in others but I don't have them to prove that it does. I do not want to mislead you.

The adblocker in Norton's is what attracted me to it. I checked out other firewall software's and could not find where it had an adblocker in it. Norton was the only one I found.

Barb B)

i use IE and i dont get ads

tho at g4 the ads tend to slow my sys slightly

i set my cookies to prompt and block.

and i havent had ads for quite some time

ive used firefox and tho it blocks ads

there were other issues

it was for everlasting changing my cookies settings.

and my screen resizing

i posted several times. but no one wanted to admit firefox hads its

problems.

all firefox users wanted to place it as the perfect browser.

so i had no alternative but to uninstall it. i didnt know how to fix it

when i uninstalled it.. it still left me with the problem of that resizing.

now before any one wants to answer this post.

ive had firefox on twice.

and both times i had these two problems.pete tried to help.

but hes used firefox since it came to being.so he knows how to fix problems.

luckly i have screen adjustments on my monitor

but i shouldnt have to keep readjusting my screen

resizing.

i posted at g4 to try and get it fixed

and all i got was a backlash from firefox users

that my post was anti firefox

when all i wanted was some way to fix it.

woudnt a response like that make you anti firefox,

i also posted at worldstart

but i didnt get one answer.

marty

Thanks Toc,

I actually started using Adblock when I was over at JeePhor, about a year ago. The sole reason I got it was to block their ads. It took me some time to figure it out, and I'm sure this will be helpful to others. Now I enjoy Adblock to stop almost ALL banner ads.

Matt

Adding the following to your HOSTS file, should block the ads from all browsers (even IE):

127.0.0.1 advertising.com

127.0.0.1 servedby.advertising.com

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 oascentral.g4techtv.com

Adding the following to your HOSTS file, should block the ads from all browsers (even IE):

127.0.0.1 advertising.com

127.0.0.1 servedby.advertising.com

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 oascentral.g4techtv.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

one little question here. after you add these sites to the host file can you delete all that garbage with the # signs?

In the HOSTS file, any line that starts with a # is a comment.  So, yes, you could safely delete those lines if you wish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thank you sir...I'm going there now to make those little # suckers disappear....